DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water running when neighbors sprinklers are running

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Nealtw 
#1 ·
I noticed when my neighbors sprinklers are on I could hear running water in my house, so I went out and looked at my water meter and the dial was moving. So I turned my water supply off and the neighbors sprinklers did not stop running, but I could not hear the running water anymore. When I turned it back on I could hear it again. I have checked this noise for about a week now and I only hear it when my neighbors sprinklers are on or if I’m running water for my sprinklers. My water bills have always seemed a little high in the summer months probably do to this. Does any one have any advice?

#15 ·
I
Unless I am missing something, what is being proposed seems incredibly unlikely. If you have a connection after your meter, but before your sprinkler valve, then it would have to connect to the neighbors sprinkler system also between his meter and his sprinkler valve. Then if you turn off your main valve, you should still be able to have water because his supply would then keep your water flowing, as AllanJ suggests. Does it? Oh, if the neighbor has figured this out, he could have installed a check valve in the connection so you supply him, but he cannot supply you. Unlike what DangDave says, the cross connected sprinkler system would run if either sprinkler valve were on. You indicated otherwise.
i didn’t think of a check valve.

#14 ·
Unless I am missing something, what is being proposed seems incredibly unlikely. If you have a connection after your meter, but before your sprinkler valve, then it would have to connect to the neighbors sprinkler system also between his meter and his sprinkler valve. Then if you turn off your main valve, you should still be able to have water because his supply would then keep your water flowing, as AllanJ suggests. Does it? Oh, if the neighbor has figured this out, he could have installed a check valve in the connection so you supply him, but he cannot supply you. Unlike what DangDave says, the cross connected sprinkler system would run if either sprinkler valve were on. You indicated otherwise.

#4 ·
No I was not using any water in the house at the time and my meter was still moving, until I shut the water off at the meter and then I could not hear the running water anymore. When I turned it back on the meter kept moving and I could hear the running water again.

#9 ·
My sprinklers are hooked up to my main water line. I use city water to water my lawn. And when I turned off the water my neighbors sprinklers were still on. My meter moves when his sprinklers are on and I can hear running water in my pipes, but when I shut my water off the meter stops and so does the sound. My meter does not run other than that unless I am using water in the house. It’s really weird. Should I call a plumber or the city?

#13 ·
If you have a cross connection it might affect other things in your house also. Try leaving your meter (main shutoff) turned off for an hour while you see what else (toilet, shower) still works.

#19 ·
This makes no sense. You surly have a valve on YOUR irrigation system. That valve must be off or your irrigation heads would be spraying water. When that valve is off, no water should leave your water supply and go to your irrigation system, or anyone else’s irrigation system.
Is this a connected condo or separate buildings.

#20 ·
You are assuming the valve or valves are all in 1 location. Often on larger systems there are many valves scattered around the property. One may be located near the property line.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
You have not said if you are in a condo, or not. How close is you neighbor?
Most irrigation systems are installed in zones, because there is not normally enough pressure or volume of your water supply, to run all your irrigation heads at one time. You should be able to control each zone at your irrigation control panel. You should be able to see what zone is on when your water meter is running. Turn off that zone.

#24 · (Edited)
So if I do shut off my sprinkler line the meter stops moving.
Is this a question?

Or is it an ordinary sentence that is always true?

Or is this an ordinary sentence that is sometimes false?

Now some questions from me. Answering them may take several days of testing.

1. Is there a valve in your house which if you turn you will turn on and off some of the neighbor's sprinklers whenever those sprinklers were switched on by the neighbor?

2. Is there a valve in your house which if you turn you will stop your meter while the neighbor's sprinklers are on but not cut water to your kitchen sink?

I would suggest that for now you turn off your main water valve whenever you are not using water and including overnight and including when you go out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.