DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Any suggestions on how to remedy the below issue? Seems like rain water is flowing down the chimney and causing a puddle right next to the foundation base. Excuse the image quality, it was raining and I took the picture from inside, the puddle is larger around front of chimney base.

Thanks,

·
Roofer
4 Posts
Rasie the ground level there. Unless it's a wood chimney.
... Otherwise break out a shovel and dig a small ditch along and around the chimney footing (8-12" deep by 10-12" wide) and leading away from the area (about 3-5 feet). Then install a plastic perforated drain tile in the ditch and line the sides of the ditch with pea gravel. Cover the drain tile with dirt/sod (or mulch as seen in illustration) and the issue should be resolved :wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I forgot to mention that I had already removed the excess mulch from around the base of the foundation, basically raked it all back to inspect foundation base. Perhaps doing this has caused this area to puddle now, since I effectively create a ditch maybe? Although putting the mulch back there will hide the puddle wont it? It is all sand there, as is around the permeter of the foundations walls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts