DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Last summer I coated my deck with Storm, a product of California paint.

Was great to see the water bead up every time it rained!

That doesn't happen any more - and I wonder if I need to re coat it every year?
Is that normal?

My deck is old - but it's in ok shape.

Thanks -

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Waterproofers like the Storm on an exposed deck generally loose there water beading properties pretty quickly. Its not uncommon to apply them yearly or bi yearly.

In order to apply another coat, the surface needs to be weathered sufficiently to allow the product to penetrate. This type of product doesn't do well if it can't penetrate the wood, they are not designed to form a film.

http://www.stormsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Waterproofer-11020.pdf

I assume this is the product your talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's the product.

Is the surface weathered sufficiently if the rain is not beading up?

Do u think I would get more years with the Sikkens product?

It's a lot of work to coat it every year!

Thanks so much for your input.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
redoaddict said:
Yes, that's the product.

Is the surface weathered sufficiently if the rain is not beading up?

Do u think I would get more years with the Sikkens product?

It's a lot of work to coat it every year!

Thanks so much for your input.

This product is similar to Thompsons water seal in that once you start using it, you cannot apply any other product over it without completely stripping the original sealer from the surface. The specs are pretty clear that this product cannot be top coated with any other sealer or stain.

This is true with several (but not all) brands of waterproofers. The chemicals that make the coatings work, simply don't allow other types of stains/sealers to work over the top of them. Anything else put over it would peel or fail prematurely.

A standard test to determine suitability for re coating is to splash some water on the surface and see if it is readily absorbed. If the water is absorbed by the wood, it can be assumed that the wood will accept a penetrating sealer.

Water not beading up doesn't necessarily mean that its 'readily absorbing' into the wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts