DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water proof sheathing. Has anyone seen it?

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Water proof sheathing. Has anyone seen it?

If you are considering using it for stucco, make sure it is approved by the local building officials.

Many municipalities are slow to accept anything other than the traditional three coat system (sometimes the modified two coat) over previously approved wall sheathing systems.

If you are in an area without the synthetic stucco and/or the very, very, very common faulty window installation problems, it may be easier to get approval.

The problems I see are automatically ignored by insurance companies if any substitutions are made. Municipalities requiring stucco inspections are very slow to allow substitutions.

#3 ·
Thanks CCM

I am just curious if anyone has seen it being used. It says in the specs not to use it with stucco or Eifs. And it would still need another layer of moisture barrier to comply with ASTM.

Please do not get me started on improper window installation! Or lack of kickout diverters above gutters!

#9 ·
Thanks CCM

I am just curious if anyone has seen it being used. It says in the specs not to use it with stucco or Eifs. And it would still need another layer of moisture barrier to comply with ASTM.

Please do not get me started on improper window installation! Or lack of kickout diverters above gutters!
As stuccoman pointed out, the manufacturer says DO NOT use this product with Stucco....

#6 ·
I would guess that the new Huber product is similar to other acrylic permeable sheathing coatings like STO's Gold Coat and W R Grace's Perm-A-Barrier VP. These products are commonly used for commercial projects and are applied by spray or roller after sheathing installation and can seal mesh-reinforced joints and rough openings. I would be skeptical of the Huber taped joint approach.

#8 ·
huber

They have taken a liquid product that can avoid the problems associated with moisture behind homewraps and that can seamlessly seal joints and rough openings and they have reduced it to a system that depends entirely on tape. Another product dreamed up by a marketing department. The photos are frightening. I would put some building paper over it for cheap insurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.