DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice/help in how to figure out why the water does not come out the bathtub faucet but only from the shower head. It is an older house with a three handle system. When the hot and/or the cold water is turned on, the water comes from the shower head. The middle handle, which I assume is to direct the water from the faucet to the shower head, does nothing when turned. I would like to correct the problem myself if possible, even though I am a novice at this, money is an issue and cannot afford a plumber. Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
That is a diverter---you will need to remove the handle and scutcheon--

Then remove the cap nut that is holding in the valve stem---take that part to a plumbing supply house and get a replacement-----

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks Mike, very helpful info. I discovered a mess and like any "simple" fix, when you look into it, it turns into a long row of dominoes. The sleeve will not come off, the opening is just big enough for the sleeve that I can't see what's holding it and of course its tiled around it...the diverter/valve stem won't come out (yes, doused it with lubricant, used proper socket, etc) and back to square one, can't get to anything because of the sleeve, opening size...then I noticed that the middle knob is different than the hot/cold knob and it doesn't even fit on the diverter to turn it even though the diverter is froze...guess I'll just grab the sledge hammer! Looks like I'll have to do some updating

1 - 3 of 3 Posts