DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello:

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, I was looking at plumbing and the concrete forums but figured this would be best...

I have an issue with my water main piping coming through the foundation wall in my home (About 6 feet below grade).

Since we bought the home (over 20 years ago) the wall has been cracked and the piece connected to the pipe. It never really bothered me (out of sight out of mind) but I am trying to control the cricket population in my basement now. As you can see in the photo, one happened to photo-bomb me...

The pipe has looked like this since day one. Not sure about the oxidation being there when we bought it but I assume it was. The piping has been supported just past this since I think that was the main problem to begin with. Just have the issue with the hole.

My question is how to seal the hole. I was thinking of the following 3 options:
1- spray foam
2 - caulk
3 - concrete or mortar

Are any of these options better over the other? Or any alternative that is best?

I should add that the pipe looks wet where I rubbed it with my finger. Just rubbed off some oxidation, it is not wet...

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ayuh,..... I'd close up the hole by trowelin' in type S mortar, or a stiff mix of hyd. grout,...
I do have Rapid Set Mortar and Rapid Set Concrete on hand but I wanted to make sure it was okay to use that direct on the copper. I assumed it was since it was originally...

Also, is it okay to just leave that piece of stone attached to the pipe. No way I want to try to knock it off. Afraid of rupturing the pipe...

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,309 Posts
You're going to need the room to work.
I'd cut that chunk off carefully with a 4" tile blade in a grinder. Don't cut right to the pipe. If you stop short, the pieces will break off.

As mentioned, hydraulic cement to fill the hole. This you need to work in small batches as it sets up quick but it will give a water tight bond.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're going to need the room to work.
I'd cut that chunk off carefully with a 4" tile blade in a grinder. Don't cut right to the pipe. If you stop short, the pieces will break off.

As mentioned, hydraulic cement to fill the hole. This you need to work in small batches as it sets up quick but it will give a water tight bond.
Will the hydraulic cement be okay on the copper? I was going to go with the Rapid Set mortar I have.
Seem to be reading all different opinions about copper being corroded by mortar/concrete/hydraulic cement. And that they do not allow any expansion for the pipe. Some recommend a polyurethane fill... ????

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it hasn't been leaking, you can use just about anything to seal it off from the, did you say crickets, do they hang out with the worms at your location?
haha. No idea if they are coming in from there. I did find a bunch of them in the crawl space and I repaired the hole the were coming in. The one by the water main was the first one I have seen in a few weeks. I believe they live underground so I figured he may have gotten in from there...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just got the cement that was on the pipe off. Looks like the pipe is damp/wet deep in the wall. Must be from the ground water. Never seen any water coming down the wall our on the floor...
Should I just fill with hydraulic cement? Should I wrap the pipe first?

Attachments

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,546 Posts
Given the age of the service line, not sure I would want a rigid connection there.
I think a PVC chase surrounding the pipe would be my choice. Then polyurethane caulk in the gap between the two.

The chase could be split in half then zip tied back together around the pipe. Then ready for hyd. cement.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the help!

There's no way to get a sleeve all the way down the hole. Is this going to be a problem? I don't want to dig up the soil outside.
Can I just use some flex tubing cut down the side and wrap it around the pipe as far as it can go and then fill with hydraulic cement?
I assume some cement will contact the tubing deep in the hole...

maybe something like this at my local HD...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts