DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've recently removed a wood stove from my basement in order to open up the space.

I decided to put some insolation in the remaining pipe, then cover it with vapour barrier and tuck tape it sealed so it didn't draw heat out.

I've noticed now that after about a month there is maybe around 1-1/2 cups of water sitting in a pool in the vapour barrier. I asked a carpenter friend and he said it was probably condensation....Just thought I would get a second opinion.

Thanks for your help, Although I've used this site as a resource in the past, tis is my first post.

·
Experienced
2,904 Posts
Welcome Luther, to the best DIY'r site on the web

Was the openning complete sealed off? and what is the top of the flue pipe look like?

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a drop ceiling in the basement so the opening is accessible.

As I said the opening, from the inside, was sealed with plastic and tuck tape. I didn't do anything outside.

The top looks like this (I didn't want to go out in the snow to take a photo so you get this kindergarden drawing instead):

Attachments

·
Experienced
2,904 Posts
The fact that the openning was sealed completely, not allowing any air flow, I would say the water you have found was either rain or snow melt.

Mark

·
Experienced
2,904 Posts
Yes that is what I would do.

Is it a masonary chimney?

·
Registered
951 Posts
They are segmented. You can probably take the cap off, put a piece of plastic on it, and put the cap back on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts