DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
House is about 60 years old, we purchased one year ago. Private well. It's mud season here in NH, and the part of the yard where the well is is saturated. My sump pump (in our crawlspace) has been running every two minutes for the last month. I can only assume our well is chock full.

So the issue is that for the last 3 days, my wife has had the water stop on her mid-shower. When it stops in the shower, it also stops in the faucets in that same bathroom. Within a minute, everything is back on full force.

We've had no issues with washing dishes or doing laundry, and I haven't had any issues when I take my shower.

Here are some maybe-important notes:

-I shower around 6am, the first thing we do with water all day. I've never had the water stop on me.

-My wife is home with our newborn twins, and often showers around lunchtime or a bit later. By that time, I've showered and we may have done a load of dishes.

We have never had any other water issues besides this particular issue in this one bathroom. We had to replace the well pump in our prior home, and I really can't afford that right now.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
No ideas for a cause but a possible troubleshooting step. Maybe the difference is the volume of water your wife uses to shower compared to you, rather than the time of day.

HRG

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info:

Yesterday we switched it up. We didn't run the dishwasher and I had my wife take a shower first. She showered without issue. Then I went into our guest bathroom and took a shower in there (different shower than we experienced the problem), and I DID experience the water shutting off for about 10 seconds towards the end of my shower. I didn't take any longer than usual.

So the fact that it's two diff bathrooms makes me realize it's somewhere in the well/water pump setup. We do not have a water softener.

Is this what happens when well pumps go bad? Do they fade out? My experience at my prior house was that suddenly we had no water at all when the pump failed.

·
Registered
9,704 Posts
The expansion tank associated with your pump and water system may be saturated (filled with water). You need to turn off the water (turn off the pump) and empty out the tank.

If there is no drain valve on the tank one suggested way of emptying the tank is to open any cold water faucet and pressurize the tank to about ten PSI. (you can use a bicycle pump but will have to keep pumping slowly to maintain 10 PSI) After the water flow stops, disconnect the air hose, close the air valve on the tank if not automatic, and turn the water back on.

By the way, turn off the water heater before starting this (pilot position for gas, breaker off for electric) When done, run a hot faucet to be sure the hot water lines are pressurized before turning the water heater back on.

(You may have instructions for a more precise recalibration of the pressure tank.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.