DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to check the thermocouple connection for the gas water heater. Trying to get the front plate off the controller. The heads look like a torx head. The smallest I can find is a TX 8 and that is too big. Is this a torx head and if so what size????

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
Trying to check the thermocouple connection for the gas water heater. Trying to get the front plate off the controller. The heads look like a torx head. The smallest I can find is a TX 8 and that is too big. Is this a torx head and if so what size????

If this is the type with peizo ignitor. If you break the burner seal . You are suppose to replace it. What brand wh is it ? What year.. ?? there were several models that had a recall on them .. Call the 1-800 # on the tank to find out if your's is 1 of the recall models.. They will over night you the parts free.. Does this wh take air from the sides or the bottom.. Some thimes the screens on the bottom or sides where the wh takes air for combustion only need cleaning

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes to the ignitor. It is a GE manufactured by Rheem on 05/2006. The air intake is on the sides at the bottom.
It is in a summer place.
When I tried to light the pilot it would light as long as I held the knob down but go out as soon as I released it. The owners guide said to first check the connection of the thermocouple. then if hat was OK to replace the thermocouple. That is why I was trying to get the control box open to check the connection but can not figure out the head on the screws.

Thanks, Dick

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
Call the 800 # . If I'am not mistaken .. This is 1 of the recalled models.. I doubt. Unless you have the proper tools . You won't be able to check t. couple

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give them a call. I wasn't planning on checking the thermocouple, just the connection, if that was ok replace it.

Thnaks, Dick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts