DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends have a water heater, basic electric model with a top mount TPR that is leaking. I mean really leaking, like a quart a minute even with the WH turned off and cold. The hubby is in poor health and can't do the repair so I plan to go over and do it. Seems like a 15 minute job... just turn off the water unscrew the old, screw in the new (with teflon tape) and plumb/glue up PVC discharge tube.

Only thing that concerns me is that it was wet around where the TPR enters the tank. I am not sure if it was just leaking around the threads there or if that could indicate some sort of tank leak?

Also not sure what shank length TPR it has so I suppose I won't get the shortest one. A little long would be better than short.

I just took a brief look the other day and unfortunately didn't take any photos... it is in a deep dark snake infested basement... but at least there is easy access and plenty of room to work.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The threaded connection itself doesn't seem to be leaking that much. It is just wet around outside of the TPR shank and fills up the space around it... not flowing, at least externally that I saw. I think it might just be that someone might have put that on without tape but I won't know until I remove it. The main ~quart per minute leakage is out the TPR discharge tube. I flipped the relief lever a couple of times to try to clear any deposits that might be in there causing that leak but it didn't make any difference.

Your concern is valid because that would be unusual for a old threaded connection to be leaking that much.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
You can say that you are happy to come over and inspect and make simple repairs at the water heater but they have to first exterminate the snakes. They can elect to DIY or hire a professional. The latter requires no license or permit or inspection or knowledge of plumbing or knowledge of electricity.

First turn off the water heater heat. THen turn off the main water.

Then you need to drain the plumbing to below the level of the temperature/pressure relief valve on the water heater otherwise water will pour out as soon as you unscrew the TPF valve. Ii will be faster if you start by opening first and second floor faucets so most of the upstairs drains out without the need to use buckets.

The water heater tank rusted out where the TPR valve screws in is not unusual. If so end of story, you need a new water heater.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know how to do all that. I have replaced several water heaters and done a bunch of DIY plumbing. Just never seen a TPR that leaked like this from both ends.

You can say that you are happy to come over and inspect and make simple repairs at the water heater but they have to first exterminate the snakes. They can elect to DIY or hire a professional. The latter requires no license or permit or inspection or knowledge of plumbing or knowledge of electricity.

First turn off the water heater heat. THen turn off the main water.

Then you need to drain the plumbing to below the level of the temperature/pressure relief valve on the water heater otherwise water will pour out as soon as you unscrew the TPF valve. Ii will be faster if you start by opening first and second floor faucets so most of the upstairs drains out without the need to use buckets.

The water heater tank rusted out where the TPR valve screws in is not unusual. If so end of story, you need a new water heater.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
My idea: You said that the TPR is top mounted, you mean on the top leveled portion?
If that's the case, shut the water supply and remove the TPR, see if there's tape or dope around the thread. From here you know what to do.
If you install a new TPR, choose one with the same size neck. The long neck TPRs are for double insulated tanks.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Job done. Nothing really wrong with the tank, near as I can tell. Interesting that the old TPR was was leaking less today with the WH hot than it was Sunday cold (the hubby had turned the breaker off by mistake while troubleshooting something else and I turned it back on then). But it was still a steady drip. New TPR is dry on both ends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.