DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Residential gas water heater
Leaks near the pressure valve towards the top of the tank, I say "near" because I cannot see if it is coming from where the valve connects to the tank, or if the leak comes from the tank itself.

Here is a vid of the water heater with everything off and drained enough so that it is not leaking

Here is a vid after I turn the cold water going into the tank on, then the leak starts once the tank if filled up enough to reach the valve, if it is important, the gas is off and electricity off so the tank is NOT be heated

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
Looks like its leaking from the threads. If so, take out tpr valve clean it, put some tape on threads reinstall. Check for leaks. Might as well replace it with a new one . just a suggestion.

If leaking directly from the valve, check exp tank.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like its leaking from the threads. If so, take out tpr valve clean it, put some tape on threads reinstall. Check for leaks. Might as well replace it with a new one . just a suggestion.

If leaking directly from the valve, check exp tank.
Yeah it is over 10 years old, so mind as well replace it.
Expansion tank works fine.
Thank you for your reply.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,286 Posts
Yeah it is over 10 years old,
Ayuh,..... It's possible, the threads in the tank rusted out,.....

Ya might be lookin' at replacin' the whole shebang, rather than just that pr valve,...

Do ya have a torch,..?? are ya handy enough to sweat copper pipe,..??

I don't see a union in the line, so ya gonna pull a joint apart, 'n sweat it back together after,....

That's just to change the pr valve,...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.