DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the house last fall. The water heater (approx 10 years old) has been dripping from what I thought was the relief valve. Turned out the the drip is from a connection on the inlet side (I should have figured this sooner as the water dripping is cold).

What is this connection for (see below)? Is this something I can solve myself easily or do I need to call in a plumber?

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
The water heater (approx 10 years old) has been dripping...
Is this something I can solve myself easily or do I need to call in a plumber?
Only YOU can answer that Q. But that you're asking means you would have to learn a few things and likely buy a few tools before you start.

Do YOU have time for that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only YOU can answer that Q. But that you're asking means you would have to learn a few things and likely buy a few tools before you start.

Do YOU have time for that?
Yes... I'm pretty handy and willing to give it shot. I just can't get my head wrapped around what's causing the drip.

I should be a bit clearer. The water drips through the line attached (see below) which drains to the floor in the garage. (There no leak at the connection or anything). Is this an overflow or an expansion?

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Can it be a threaded brass tee with a plug on top? Maybe it was supposed to get an expansion tank? If the drip is between the brass female threads and pvc male, pvc can be cut about 6" away, removed, teflon tape and pipe dope, rethreaded and the cut joined with pvc coupler or shark bite for pvc. I think the pipe should move for that much work. If it doesn't, look for any clamp. The plastic part may be called cpvc. Not a plumber and not good with identifying.

BTW, if using sharkbite, get sharkbite fitting remover as well. It is a good insurance. With any pipe cuts, sanding the inside and outside edges smooth is important.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can it be a threaded brass tee with a plug on top? Maybe it was supposed to get an expansion tank?
Yes... it is a tee with a plug on top. From my research, I also suspected the same thing (i.e. it should have an expansion tank, but for some reason doesn't.. or maybe it was removed) but I don't have much experience with water heaters and needed some more advice.

Thanks!

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,661 Posts
That is an expansion valve used in lieu of an expansion tank. If it drips from the end of the pipe, that is normal and the valve is doing its job.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is an expansion valve used in lieu of an expansion tank. If it drips from the end of the pipe, that is normal and the valve is doing its job.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Thanks!

How difficult would it be to swap to a tank? I don't like the fact that there is almost always a wet area in the garage.

The alternative is to run a small (maybe 1/2") hose from the end the pipe to the outside, which I am not keen on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:

I had a plumber come in yesterday and confirm what you folks mentioned above. Apparently the expansion valve is no longer within codes for the county (or state) and should eventually be replaced by an expansion tank.

I'm weighing the options of just installing a tank vs. a new water heater/ tank (as my current water heater is around 12+ years old).

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
What is your water pressure? Perhaps you should just adjust your pressure regulating valve (PRV). Or perhaps your PRV is malfunctioning.
PS:
My water heater is 28 years old.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
UPDATE:

I had a plumber come in yesterday and confirm what you folks mentioned above. Apparently the expansion valve is no longer within codes for the county (or state) and should eventually be replaced by an expansion tank.

I'm weighing the options of just installing a tank vs. a new water heater/ tank (as my current water heater is around 12+ years old).

Thanks for the input everyone!

12 plus years is getting close, it's seen it's best days. Imho, I would go all new. You will be good to go for long time. Get it all up to current code at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts