DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did some much overdo maintenance on our gas water heater and of course the drain valve was janked up and formed a leak. I picked up a brass "boiler" valve and installed it. After the fact, I noticed the label that was on the valve handle has the California Prop 65 warning (valve has chemicals including lead, blah blah blah). But the label also says "NOT FOR POTABLE WATER USE". So:
1. Is this considered a "potable water use"? We don't typically consume water from the hot side, but may cook, bathe, etc with it. I have 3 little ones at home.
also
2. What are the female threads on the water heater made of (metal, fiberglass, plastic, etc)? I finally have it tight enough where this is no drip, but don't want to overtighten it if there is potential for cracking it (right now valve discharge is kind of facing up).

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
I've bought a wallet and a fishing reel that have warning labels on them warning the state of CA warns they may contain cancer causing agents.
Total non issue with a drain valve!!!
Drain valve needs to be facing down.
Should have used several wraps of tape then a layer of Teflon pipe dope.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
And to think some places are still using lead pipes that have been in place for 50 plus years and no one's been effected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.