DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been having a water hammer problem for the past couple of weeks. :furious:I looked at the videos that tell you to drain the system. I did that and the problem left for about a day and a half. :(I'm thinking that I will have to install arrestors.

My question is I have a building with 3 separate apartments and a laundry room in the basement. Will I have to install arrestors in all of the apartments and laundry room? Will that be arrestors in both the kitchen and bathroom?:huh: This is the thing I am most confused about. So that means 4 per floor (2 in BR & 2 in Kitchen)?

This is where I am the most confused. Please help

·
Premium Member
12,665 Posts
Do you know what the water pressure is for the building? Perhaps your water supplier has boosted the pressure causing some pipes to start hammering recently. Buy a simple test gauge at a box store and take a reading at a hose bib or laundry box- should be around 60lbs. No more then 80lb.
If excessive, a pressure reducing valve and expansion tank could be installed to lower it and possibly quiet the hammer noise.
You can also put mini arresters at each troublesome fixture rather then the main piping.

Reactions: fantayja
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.