DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, can anyone comment on what I should do to eliminate water hammer at my regulator?? When the water is quickly turned off at several sinks, a hammer noise is heard at the regulator that is brand new. It is only when the HOT WATER is turned on then off...not the cold at all.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Water hammer arrestors are the thing to install in order to eliminate the problem(s). Normally they are installed as close as possible to any quick closing valves, ie - dishwasher, washing machine.

You could install one right after the PRV, pressure reducing valve, but I have a few questions;

- Why are you quickly shutting off the taps at numerous sinks at the same time?
- The PRV is installed after the water enters the house, then the cold water travels into the rest of the house and is T'd off to go to the HWT. You're saying that the water hammer travels from the sinks, through the HWT, and back towards the PRV? Really?
- Do you have an expansion tank, usually blue around here, mounted right around where the hot water leaves the HWT?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try turning off the house supply, open all your faucets especially the lowest to best drain your home's piping. I have heard this let's the piped lengths within a home's walls that are meant to absorb the water shocks refill with air if for some reason it has depleted. Seemed like logical advice to me and it costs nothing to try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts