DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. We purchased our house about 7 years ago (house is now 32 years old) and it was very well kept. After the past 7 years, I'm now finding little things here and there that are starting to need some attention, so I may be on here quite a bit.

My first concern is the caulk at the top of the brick veneer on the front of my house. The brick veneer goes up approx 1/4 way up the front exterior wall. There is a gap between the top of the brick and the siding. The caulk that was used to seal this gap is cracked and water must be seeping in, as the inside baseboard on the interior side of the wall is pulling apart from the wall (great....). So i'll have some work to do there. Same issue is happening with the brick veneer and interior baseboard on the opposite side of our front door. But I figure the first step is sealing that gap up so no more water can get it.

My first question: should there be some sort of flashing here, or is the caulk just fine? I never noticed it because I never really paid attention to it until I started to look for the cause of the interior baseboard pulling away from the wall. Then I examined the exterior and found the cracked caulk.

Secondly, if some simple exterior caulk would do the job, what type would you recommend to adhere properly to both the brick and the wood siding?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes flashing is required where the brick & wood siding meet if it were flashed correctly caulking would not be required.
As for the bottom of the brick weep holes are also required.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Yeah, I figured flashing would be required. Would installing some flashing be something I should have a professional do, or is it something someone like me with little to no hands on experience can do without much trouble?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
It should be flashed.
There should be through wall flashing and weeps near the ground in the brick. They let out water caused by condensation. Either they are missing, plugged, or the water volume is too much for them to handle.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Sounds like you may have some leaking. But keep in mind also that both the brick and mortar are to some extent water permeable. Some brick more than others, but in a rain storm, water can readily soak right through the brick. That's one reason they put weep holes in the bottom course.

·
retired painter
9,851 Posts
As noted above flashing is the correct way to address it but I've painted for builders that did like your house was done. I normally used a clear latex caulk on those jobs. The clear latex will go on milky but dry clear.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Is the area where the baseboard is pulling away from the wall wet or damp?

Looked at the pics and it does not appear so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts