DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Have a standard "under the sink" RO water system.

In addition to the usual filters (eg the 3 big ones and membrane), I have an Inline PH stabilizer (Pentek GS10) and a Carbon post-filter (Atoll CK-2586C). The water tastes a little bland so I just bought a mineralizer (Geyser).

1. are these last two filters necessary?

2. Is the mineralizer the last filter before the faucet. From the "blue" tube I assume yes. But just checking

Any other advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
Why are you using A R/O filter?
Of course it taste bland, your taking all the minerals out of the water.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I am far from an expert on water filters. Your set up sounds fine to me. I would put the polishers last inline as you stated. Do you have fluoride in your system? I believe you need a special filter to remove most of the fluoride. I would also add shower filters because you will still be getting a lot of chlorine while you shower as well. Or a nice whole house filter but they can be very expensive. I filter water I get from a spring thru a Berkey filter. As for your inline ph stabilzer(polisher) sounds okay , I am still up in the air on anything that changes the ph of the water. I would never go above 8.0 on drinking ph. Anything higher than that it acts more like a drug. I also would avoid anything that adds a chemical to the water to change the ph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks
The set-ups I have seen (online) subsequent seem to place the Mineralizer before the carbon filter. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I guess I am not sure about the PH stabilizer and if that's needed. If I keep it then I I feel I h=will have too much "filter" if you know what I mean and it will slow down the process and flow.

Any other help out there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in Moscow Russia. The quality isn't very good and I assume that it has quite a bit of minerals, so I would say water is harder than normal. Considering location Im sure there is no sand. In any case, we have an RO system that pretty much filters out everything. This is why my focus is on post filters and getting a little taste back.

Thanks for your help

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Kind of funny to take everything out, then start putting stuff back. You write very well in English, better than most US citizens that post here. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Simply put - There was no way to filter out the "bad stuff" and leave the "good stuff". Hence the full-on RO system with remineralizer. Just installed it so lets see how it works out. The flow is restricted as I now effectively have a 6 stage process (3 heavy duty filters, Membrane filter, mineralizer, Carbon and PH stabilizer).

·
Water Treatment
1,087 Posts
Very true in that if a RO system is used then it will remove 97% of what is there if it can be removed by an RO system.
And the more that you have in the water flow the lower the flow and pressure with out the use of booster pumps to bring the pressure back up again.
With the mineralizer you have more control as to what will be in the water.

·
Registered
270 Posts
"pH stabilizers" are typically mineralizers--that is they contain calcite that gradually dissolves into the acidic product of the RO unit. It is not clear to me what additional minerals the "mineralizer" is adding or that you need both. This is particularly pertinent if you now have pressure/flow problems because of so many filters.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The set-ups I have seen (online) subsequent seem to place the Mineralizer before the carbon filter. Does anyone know if this is correct?
I believe the mineralizer works by gradually dissolving minerals into the water flow. As the mineral particles get very small some may escape the mineralizer cartridge and get into the water flow. Because most polishing carbon filter cartridges also include a very fine filter paper the carbon filter would capture these particles. Therefore I think you would be better off putting the carbon filter last.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.