DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We bought a house 2 years ago and the wall was repaired for sale. 2 years later we are getting water damage at the wall next to the shower. I recaulked but we continue to have an issue. I think that water is getting behind the caulk, and then draining over the lip at the front corner (where the damage is).

When I stuck a level on the tub, it seemed to be tilted correctly so water would run back into the tub from the lip.

Thoughts on the repair? just replace the drywall and paint? I've heard from folks that drywall shouldn't be that close to a glass shower door. Any thoughts on how to eliminate the problem? should I create a caulk dam at the edge to keep water from draining over the edge and onto the drywall?

I don't believe water is running down the shower tile and past the edging on the door, but I could be wrong.

(if you click on the pictures, it seems they rotate to the right orientation)

Thank you for your thoughts!

Attachments

·
retired framer
38,931 Posts

·
retired painter
9,901 Posts
Is the track on the tile caulked?
Drywall is installed that close to tile all the time without issues. Once the water is stopped so will the damage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nealtw. The door already has weather stripping on it, which moves with the door as it opens and closes. It seems like the vinly product you mentioned would probably be useful on a non-moving part... but I'm not sure I see it on a moving edge (my apologies for not including a picture in the "open" position,

So really, I just need to chase down how the water is getting back there, whether through the existing silicone, or elsewhere (maybe slow leak in the diverter somehow...)

it also sounds like to chase down that leak, I shoule probably remove that drywall so I have access.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is there top of the bathtub tilted toward the wall? If so it just seems water is going into the tile through the grout and draining that direction...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Sdiver- the last time I checked it seemed to. I'll check again. I'm trying to remember if the tub was caulked empty or full of water... as that may have led to the separation of the caulk and water getting underneath/behind it and running over the corner edge. I can tell you on further inspection that the bottom lip (where the caulk meets the tub) is not a tight seal in some places... so I'm going to recaulk this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts