DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background:

This is an addition on the house built in 1995, single story garage with a flat roof, I am applying for a permit to put a loft and peaked roof over the garage (heavy snowload area, flat roof not working well). There was no code enforcement in the town until last year, so I don't have plans or drawings from when it was built and I know corners were cut.

This back side of the garage had water running off the roof, and seeping through the block on the inside. A few test holes showed that it was backfilled with soil (no sand or gravel) and had no footer drain, so I ran a drain line to daylight and just excavated this wall, re-waterproof/seal and put in a footer drain in gravel, backfill properly and re-grade
However, there is some damage to the actual stone block, many of the mortar joints have failed, I'm ok grinding these out and re-pointing the block. But the thing I haven't seen before, and wasn't prepared for is heavy degradation of the surface of the block itself. The cement has washed out leaving a surface mostly of pure aggregate. None of hte blocks split or cracked, but I'm not sure how structurally sound these blocks are, if I should have them replaced (they are not above grade on the other side of the wall, they are below the garage floor), or if they are structurally sound and I should simply parge over them, or if there is some way to test if they are structurally sound. Any help on how to proceed is appreciated... mostly at this point, i don't want to ever have to dig this up again, When I put it back together I want it to last.

Thanks,

John R.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Site won't let me post images or links, please be patient I'll get them added as soon as I can figure out why.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts