DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a plan of action to address water coming in under my garage door and I wanted to run it by the forum collective to see what you guys thought and if you had any additional input/advice.

This is a detached garage that has a driveway that is fairly new. Looks like when the previous owner had the driveway done, they didn't put enough slope away from the garage door. The concrete landing in front of the door is dead flat instead of pitched away from the door, and the ashpalt is a bit raised just in front of the concrete landing. The previous owner put in a rubber threshold that stops some water but it ends up seeping in around the threshold during heavy rain. I know when it's going to come in when water pools up on the concrete landing.

If it rains more than 24 hours straight I get water under the garage door about 3-6 feet in. I have been just brooming it out but it's a pain. Especially last summer (wettest summer recorded in history) when we were on vacation and got water in the garage. The summer heat and water caused mold and mildew inside the garage while we were gone for a week.

My plan is to install a trench drain like the NDS Pro: https://www.ndspro.com/5-pro-series-channel-drain-kit-with-metal-grate.html

I will install this in front of the garage door only and run a PVC pipe from it to the side of the garage into a small catch basin buried next to the garage. There is 6 feet between the driveway/garage to the fence so the catch basin has to be small.

I will cut the asphalt with a concrete saw 13" away from the concrete landing of the garage door. I will grind a pitch into the concrete landing towards the drain. I will encase the drain in concrete pitching the concrete towards the drain on all sides.

I will run PVC from the drain to the left side of the garage. What I don't know is if I should cover up the PVC pipe with concrete, or fill with gravel and the a top layer of cold asphalt patch?

Am I missing another simpler solution to my issue? Any other input or advice?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts

·
Retired Handyman/Painter
733 Posts
I installed the plastic grate trench drain that you referenced in front
of my carport using a cement base. I made the sump that you mentioned.
pretty labor intensive and costly - but very much worth the effort
if you have a driveway that slopes towards the garage.
#1 choice would be some kind of gasket if you are only getting some
blown in water. I was having rain water 4 inches deep into the carport which
is not acceptable.
let us know what you decide to do.

this is how I set up the gutter downspouts and the french drain into a sump
that drained down grade about 50 feet from the house.
[I have a video of installing the french drain - but can't locate it at the moment].

Attachments

·
Retired Handyman/Painter
733 Posts
Edit: I used my Porter Cable circular saw with the asphalt blade to
cut the asphalt back about 4 feet back from the concrete floor of the carport.
then embedded the drain flush into the concrete ~ not the asphalt surround.
depending on what part of the world you live in, States with triple digit
temps in the summertime, the asphalt that comes in a bag from the Box Store
that is "hand tamped" will eventually get smooshsed down with vehicle traffic
in and out of your garage. do it once - do it right - and call it a day.
from what I see on YouTube, they all use asphalt in a bag to bury the drain.
having done it myself, I really very highly suggest a concrete base vs asphalt.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
When you say "catch basin" are you thinking of a blind pit? If you have 24 hrs continuous rain, the soil will become saturated and the pit might fill up leaving no place for the water to go.
If you can run a trench and lay drain pipe to a low spot nearby that would be best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts