DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hard to say without more info...mine smells bad when I forget wet clothes in it. I do another load and the smell goes away.

Do you have bad water? well water with high sulfur? Is it leaking and ponding water that is growing mold?

·
fabrk8r
849 Posts
There is a product called Affresh that is made for that purpose, probably other brands as well.

All I do is set the machine for "clean" and use some bleach. That has worked for me for two years now. I have a Maytag HE top-loader. Some of the He front loaders are notorious for having a bad smell over time.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wipe around/under/behind the gasket to see if any crud has built up around it.

Leave the door open so it can dry between loads.

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
front loaders are notorious for odors, it is because bacteria builds up inside the machine and especially on your rubber boot. When you close the door the machine is water tight and air tight, that is a prime breeding ground for bacteria and mold.
When you do your whites, use hot water and liquid bleach. Also like fabrk8r said the affresh tablets really work, use them once a month in your machine to keep it clean.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
There is a product called Affresh that is made for that purpose, probably other brands as well.

All I do is set the machine for "clean" and use some bleach. That has worked for me for two years now. I have a Maytag HE top-loader. Some of the He front loaders are notorious for having a bad smell over time.
I do that as well, and when I don't do it, i know it's time. :yes:

·
Registered
428 Posts
the wife uses a product called "smelly washer" a couple of times during the summer. seems we don't have a problem in the winter. I have no idea what's in it, but the stuff works. She buys it at ace hdwe.

·
Registered
484 Posts
we have come up with a two step process for this.
1) leave the door and soap dish open when not in use
2) periodically do an empty load with bleach

Not saying this is the best way, but it has worked for us. Cheap too!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Throw through a load of nothing but a bit of bleach, you need to do it a few times a year if you are unlucky. No big deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts