DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just bought a 5 year old investment property, so I've never really used the washing machine plumbing. My new tenant said that the washer is draining onto the lawn outside. I've never heard of this before. There is a pan that the washer sits on that I thought drained outside, but the tenant said that the main washer drain is going outside of a 2" drain straight out on the lawn. Maybe in warmer climates this is ok, but it gets darn cold here.

When I go to the house to look at it, what should I look for?

Thank you!

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I've got a neighbor with a set up like that----It gets mighty cold here,too.

Look for a path to the drains---or consider a sump box with a pump and go overhead if your situation makes a gravity drain impractical.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
consider a sump box with a pump and go overhead if your situation makes a gravity drain impractical.
Could be that was the original intention and the project ran out of money and/or it was forgotten about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it may have been designed this way? I thought washer drains always drained to the home sewer system. The overflow drain for the washer pan should go outside maybe? Could a backup be causing it to go out the wrong drain? Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
It wasn't designed----it was a mistake--over site or or change of location.

That is a funky,make do set up---find a way to drain that properly and you will be much happier.

My neighbor closed in a porch and heated it (30 or 40 years ago--he's 90 something)

Then thought it would be nice to get the machines out of the house---he ran a temporary hose through the siding----decades ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts