DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago we had a landscaper plant trees and shrubs for us. I requested a commemoration maple in the front yard because of it's beautiful fall colors. This is the 2nd fall in a row now where the leaves just turn a drab golden brown.

Would this have anything to do with the tree being young (3" trunk) or is this just not a commemoration maple? Is there any way I could tell for sure? I would like to approach the landscaper on it soon.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Is this what you were hoping for? A couple of things I read about Commemorative maples sounds like the name could refer to different color leaves. For a focal tree I’d remove it and get what you wanted. Maybe this is a good time to buy one since you may see the actual fall leaf color. My dad had an impressive row of maples.
Plant Flower Leaf Natural landscape Branch

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this what you were hoping for? A couple of things I read about Commemorative maples sounds like the name could refer to different color leaves. For a focal tree I’d remove it and get what you wanted. Maybe this is a good time to buy one since you may see the actual fall leaf color. My dad had an impressive row of maples. View attachment 668100
Yes, that is exactly the tree I was wanting. I was unsure if there were different species of that maple that had different foliage so I was trying to find out if there was a way to tell. Every image I search under that name comes up with those colors. I feel the landscaper should take care of replacing it if the mistake was on their end.

·
Registered
23,181 Posts
I'd problem-solve the possible problems surrounding the tree before I'd replace it. If it is the correct maple, it may be a problem with care - roots, watering, etc. Otherwise the problem would repeat all over again. I'm always surprised when people don't know their soil.
(You can identify many maples by their leaf configuration)

I clearly remember driving from Tennessee to Virginia and back and seeing the deeper colors on the Great Smokies in October in Tennessee. Tennessee was colder than Virginia at that time. Wisconsin is definately cool to cold, but, could the tree have been affected by the heat and smoke of Summer?

·
Usually Confused
8,071 Posts
I had to Google it to learn that this is a type of sugar maple. A good close-up of a leaf would help us. They are hardiness zone 4 -8 so depending on where you are in Wisconsin, you might be on the edge.

Online research is all over the map. It could be allowed to get too dry, it could be a soil issue, particularly Ph, and some feel that young trees just do that. What 'young' means is not defined.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I always thought the fall color had more to do with climate than the variety of sugar maple. Are there many other trees turning red in your neighborhood?

·
Usually Confused
8,071 Posts
I always thought the fall color had more to do with climate than the variety of sugar maple. Are there many other trees turning red in your neighborhood?
Much depends on species. Some, like Poplar, Beech and Birch turn yellow only. It can also vary within species.

·
Registered
17,268 Posts
@Richo please post a picture of a close up of the leaves on your maple. I've got a feeling it's not a sugar maple, but some other kind.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
. I feel the landscaper should take care of replacing it if the mistake was on their end.
You need to be careful before you demand a replace,ent because you think the landscaper is at fault. You specified a Commerative maple and apparently thats what you have.

Font Plant Terrestrial plant Recipe Screenshot

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
If you have a dry late summer and fall the colors aren't even close to what they should be.

Reactions: lenaitch

·
Usually Confused
8,071 Posts
You need to be careful before you demand a replace,ent because you think the landscaper is at fault. You specified a Commerative maple and apparently thats what you have.

View attachment 668153
I'm not sure how you can determine that from the OP's posted thumbnail, unless you have a really super duper image enhancer.

Whether the OP can go back on the installer might be a good question.

·
Registered
17,268 Posts
Start with a close up of the leaves which tell whether it’s a sugar maple or other kind.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I'm not sure how you can determine that from the OP's posted thumbnail, unless you have a really super duper image enhancer.
Au contraire my friend. I can read! Sometimes.

He said he asked for a commemoration maple and he said the foliage is orange, not red. Looking at the description i found on-line, a commemorative maple has pumpkin orange foliage with a touch of red blush. So my Sherlock Holmes skills tell me he got what he asked for, not what he wanted.

·
Usually Confused
8,071 Posts
Au contraire my friend. I can read! Sometimes.

He said he asked for a commemoration maple and he said the foliage is orange, not red. Looking at the description i found on-line, a commemorative maple has pumpkin orange foliage with a touch of red blush. So my Sherlock Holmes skills tell me he got what he asked for, not what he wanted.
Could be. There's a lot of science-y stuff that is involved in colour change. The original post mentions turning "just drab brown", which might indicate an underlying health issue or simply youth. Up here, we had a very hot, dry summer, interspersed with very heavy rains, then a very warm autumn, and I have seen some mature maples displaying very deep and vibrant reds that I haven't seen in previous years. Go figure.

Reactions: Nik333
1 - 20 of 29 Posts