DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Was asbestos used as attic floor insulation in the UK

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
I have moved into a semi detached house with one other person. We are renting the house and got it through a letting agency (although the house is owned by the landlord).

The house is from 1930's (I think) and has been renovated over the years (double glazing, energy efficient eaves, efficient boiler that is checked every 12 months). There is no cavity wall insulation as the landlord said that although he considered it, the contractor said it would be too much hassle considering the building.

In all it is a really nice house. The exception which bugged me was that my room has the boiler and I noticed a holes in the ceiling. It was mainly filled with a woolly jumper (I'm not making that up). But there are still some gaps around it that go into the ceiling but are too far for me to reach or see what is in them.

Above my room is a converted loft space (working area) and my landlord said that there is no asbestos in the house. However from past experience when I was at university I am dubious about believing the word of landlords as if he would know it might put people off renting the accommodation.
I have a paranoia about asbestos and so I was wandering if there is a chance there is asbestos in lofts.

See less See more
#5 ·
Sorry,UK uses a few different terms---boiler--water heater--

Pack the holes so no insulation can enter the room---caulk of some sort should do---

If the insulation can not enter the air you should be fine---a sample of the suspect product could be mailed to a lab for testing.

#2 ·
Any structure built in the 1930s has a chance of asbestos products---particularly in or near a utility room---best to find a testing lab and send samples---as you know,it is only dangerous when airborne--so sealing off the holes is a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.