DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have material to make cabinet doors. I'm finally able to get around to it...but now the plywood is warped. Can I simply dampen it and lay it under something to flatten it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chances of straightening plywood that has warped is pretty much zero - and even if you do it will return to it's preferred shape sooner or later

·
Registered
262 Posts
Depends on how warped (and to some extent on why it warped).

If it's warped to the point of splitting or delaminating I'd turf it (unless it was really high end stuff), but if it's not too badly warped I'd soak the sheets in water (hot water if possible) until well saturated and then strap/weight them down so that the bend is very slightly over-corrected and let dry (make sure it's totally dry before removing the straps/weight).

I've had good success with the above method on thinner ply, and even on slightly warped 5/8 ply (I like my lumber free, which means I like it old, musty and warped lol).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I guess I should have been more specific. It's 1/4 inch...so pretty thin and only a slight bend from storage...no splitting.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks everyone. I guess I should have been more specific. It's 1/4 inch...so pretty thin and only a slight bend from storage...no splitting.
In that case I wouldn't even bother trying to take the bend out, it will be forced flat by whatever you're attaching it to (I assume your attaching it to a frame of some sort - 1/4 inch ply by itself would make a pretty flimsy door).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts