DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new saw’s manual has the following warning:

WARNING! TO PREVENT SERIOUS INJURY: Only use a smooth rim, wet cutting, 10″ Blade rated to at least 4,000 RPM on this tool. Do not use a Blade that is too thick to allow Outer Flange to engage with the flats on the Spindle. Do not use a Blade that has openings, grooves, or teeth.

I need the saw to cut 2 3/8 pavers. Is there really a danger in using segmented blades? Don’t people do this all the time?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
we don't use continuous rim blades for anything BUT thin (1/2" or less ) sawing - wet OR dry,,, we pay more attn to rpm's,,, attorney's rarely operate saws however that's not their function

segmented blades allow the ' swarf ' to escape the cut + allow the segments to run cooler thereby extending blade life

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
A 10" saw is considered to be a tile saw; tile are cut with continuous rim blades to prevent chipping. If the speed is within the parameters of the blade, and the thickness of the blade allows the flange to engage, you should be fine. You will also be on your own for damage to the saw or yourself if anything goes sideways.

Stadry, they do those as well, but the main function of segments is to prevent rim warping of the blade due to thermal expansion.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
i just cut a sh#t tonne of 3" thick concrete pavers with my 7" dewalt angle grinder with a dewalt diamond blade (its continuous blade, no segments). i used water to prolong life and minimize dust. just garden hose spray'n on the blade. was plugged into GFI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.