DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put slate tiles on my deck outside. I have a few questions / concerns:

1) first, I know the weight of slate is very heavy. My deck is about 20' wide and 10' out. Is there anyway I can confirm the deck will handle the extra weight? I assume it will be fine, as we live in Calgary where we get alot of snow in the winter. Snow has accumulated on my deck in past winters without issues.

2) currently I have 2x6 as deck flooring, with approx 1/4" spacing between each board. Can I install the slate tiles right over this wood flooring? I know it would be recommended to put some sort of subfloor on, but I really do not ant to add even more weight or cost unless absolutely necessary? What would be the issue if I install the slate right over the existing floor and then grout?

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Dan.Tile over a wood deck is almost always a failure---

Tile requires a very stable substrate and a wood deck just moves to much. Add to that freezing,thawing and expansion from direct sun and failure is almost certain.

If you want to pursue this further come back with a photo of the deck and all joist sizes and spans

Be prepared to invest many thousands to make the deck stable enough for natural stone.--Mike--

1 - 2 of 2 Posts