DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

want to build lean to shed, need opinions

331K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Nealtw 
#1 ·
HI Guys, I'm new to the forum. I was planning on builing a 12 x 16 shed this summer as I need to clear space in my garage. Because the budget doesnt work this summer for the larger shed I thought of putting a 7-8 x 4 lean to shed on the side of my house this spring/summer. I'm not a proessional but am hands on and the only way to learn is to try.

I have a slight slope as you can see in the pic. I have vinyl siding as well which i was hoping to incorporates in the lean to shed.

soo

#1 I was debating on building with wood over buying a premade kit. Wood if i can get a few answers off this forum.

#2 I was going to use pier blocks (do I just cut them into the higher lever to even them out with the lower?) Should I have gravel underneath each blocks.

#3 attaching to house, would I leave the vinyl siding (use inside corner posts) on or am I cutting to expose that wall (expose typar). whats recommeded for cutting. Or do I just nail over the exising vinyl siding?

#4 I probably need a flashing, what do you guys recommend for the flashing?

this shed will hold a snowblower, lawmwer, garden stuff etc thats taking space in our garage. This might be a nice project to start off with beofre i tackle the larger shed, stairs from 2nd floor deck, and finishing my basement (walkout).

cheers
fenders :thumbup:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
fenders said:
never mind figured it out myself. Thank god I came here. Whew!
I'm suprized you didn't get a reply?? Odd really!

I would cut away the siding as it would interfere with getting a solid connection or laminate to the house. I would then attach a 2x6 to the exposed exterior wall of the house spanning the length of the lean to roof. This will act as a support for the roof.

BUT is this just temporary until you get your shed put in?

You might consider just leaving the lean to unattached of the house so you don't have to do any cosmetic touch ups after??

As for putting down gravel underneath the post supports, I would. I would cut/dig away a section of grass where the post blocks will sit and to the level needed(based on grade) pour some gravel down then tamp the area to make it solid. The ground(soil) will more than likely allow the posts to sink if you don't. I wouldn't put gravel everywhere if this is temporary as you would have to clean it up after.

I'm thinking by not attaching this to your house you could get a few friends over after the shed is up and move the lean to where your shed is and attach it to the shed?? Get a little extra out of it for things that don't need to be inside the shed.

#5 ·
thanks fantastic

Hey I appreciate your comments man. I think theres just alot of poeple asking for help here that you sometimes get bumped out lol.

I am still debating but leaning more towards just leaving it unattached and not bothering the cosmetics of the house. I wasn't sure how much grvol is sufficient and whether it is necessary to get below the frost line with it.

The tricky part will be doing the back of it with the siding. Might have to try and put it together and then get some beers and abunch of guys to move it over.

Will start it next week. BOught the 10 x 4 lean to plans online for 12.00. I'll post my results when im done.

Might need feedback on what to use for a skirt on my slope to prevent animals from making homes int here.

sorry man, lots of questions lol first time building my own shed and not a kit. prety excited.

cheers
fenders

#6 ·
Just my opinion, but I would not attach it to the house. 1) you'll have to mess with your siding, 2) if it's attached to the house it would be best if it was below the frost line so the lean to is not moving against your house. If it was me, I would put it near where you are going to build the bigger shed. Then you can either, just build the bigger shed next to it or move the lean to shed over and attach it to the bigger one when it is finished. Also, if you are placing the lean to next to your house, what are you doing about the slope?

#8 ·
fenders said:
Hey I appreciate your comments man. I think theres just alot of poeple asking for help here that you sometimes get bumped out lol.

I am still debating but leaning more towards just leaving it unattached and not bothering the cosmetics of the house. I wasn't sure how much grvol is sufficient and whether it is necessary to get below the frost line with it.

The tricky part will be doing the back of it with the siding. Might have to try and put it together and then get some beers and abunch of guys to move it over.

Will start it next week. BOught the 10 x 4 lean to plans online for 12.00. I'll post my results when im done.

Might need feedback on what to use for a skirt on my slope to prevent animals from making homes int here.

sorry man, lots of questions lol first time building my own shed and not a kit. prety excited.

cheers
fenders
I'd like to see your before, after pics and pics along the way. That's what DIY is all about... Show and tell ;)

#9 ·
for te slope im going to use blocks to level it out. I'm going to put it next to the house. I figure with it detached, you can always move it somewhere later. I've attached a pic of the shed, and wqill be using vinyl siding and not the t1-11 in the plans.

I was just worried about animals making a home in the open area underneath. Was not sure if some sort of skirt woulddo or to put more gravel underneath to deter them from digging.

#12 ·
I think that most municipalities now model their codes after the provincial requirements.

I have a place at the lake and neighbor started to buils a leanto shed on his house. No building permit either. As it was in a prominent location and would have affected my property value, I reported this to the BI.
A stop work order was posted on the project, but nothing has been removed. I think that I will have to complain again.

#14 · (Edited)
project complete

Here's the progress I made. My first time building a structure. Just to store all the gardening, lawn tools etc. Found these plans off the net for 15.00. I really liked the simplicity of them. Only prob I had with them is that it was 12 2x4 short in the material lists ( I didn't have any scraps left that would have made the 14, who knows).

Just wanted to post some pics. Not bad for the first time. The window I jsut picked up from a local reseller and had to adjust the framing to fit it as it's bigger then the spec window.

Took a week and a half, off and on x 2 people. Defineately need 2 people for the walls. Back wall was the trickiest. was going to go with vinyl siding and realized how much more expenisve it is (600.00) as opposed to the oc2 which was 20.00 a sheet and preprimed.

Attachments

#19 ·
Nice job on the shed. I'm looking to tackle a lean to shed myself in the near future (hopefully fall). I have a narrow space, between house and fence, so I'm looking to build a shed 4.5' x 12', with the door on the 4.5' part rather than the long part like yours. I figure I can modify the plans to do so. Did you find the cement blocks used were sufficient? Where did you get your plans?

#20 ·
No problem man. These plans I got were pretty detailed, just found that they were short about 10 2x4's on it, unless there was something I did but I can't see. There were also a few minor spelling errors but overall it worked out. I originally used 5/8 inch osb board the blue stuff but realized vinyl siding was way too expensive to use. I wanted to match the house. I ended up covering the osb with oc2 which was cheap and was already primed.

I got the plans of of amazon, 12.00

http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Project-Plans-Design-10410/dp/B002YVKM5Q

I estmate is cost me 1000.00 cdn. I put asolar interior and exterior light on it.

good luckman, any questions, leave me amessage. the blocks were more than enough, dug some holes and used 1/2 inch stone, then tried to level the floor which we built first. once thats level you build up the walls.

#27 ·
No problem man. These plans I got were pretty detailed, just found that they were short about 10 2x4's on it, unless there was something I did but I can't see. There were also a few minor spelling errors but overall it worked out. I originally used 5/8 inch osb board the blue stuff but realized vinyl siding was way too expensive to use. I wanted to match the house. I ended up covering the osb with oc2 which was cheap and was already primed.

I got the plans of of amazon, 12.00

4' X 10 Lean-to Storage Shed Project Plans -Design #10410 - Woodworking Project Plans - Amazon.com

I estmate is cost me 1000.00 cdn. I put asolar interior and exterior light on it.

good luckman, any questions, leave me amessage. the blocks were more than enough, dug some holes and used 1/2 inch stone, then tried to level the floor which we built first. once thats level you build up the walls.
I have a question about your build. The pics don't really show your distance from the house....how far did you build from the home? The reason I ask is because I want to build a shed like this behind my garage and I can't wrap my brain around how people get the shed so close to the house. Did you build the back wall of the shed first and then set it in place on the shed floor? did you have a need to get a tool like a drill between the back of the shed and the side of the house?

looks great, if you were closer I'd have you come advise me on my build :)

#23 ·
Thanks man. I aint taking it down. It survived the winter well, no leaks. Only issue was I had some tenants over the winter, 4 of them. The instructions were pretty staight forward for 12.00 and for someone who has only built the spacemaker metal sheds.

I just need to to build alarger one in the back for the snowblower, lawnmowere tc. Im looking at a pre cut and then build next time.

#24 ·
Looks very slick man, nice job!

How did you manage to get the siding/etc attached in the back? Looks like you only have 5-6" of clearance?

In the winter, did you have any issue with snow build up between the house and shed?

I'd love to do something similar, unfortunately my house has windows at least every 2-3', there are no spans large enough to fit a shed, even a small one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.