DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Naildriver
How much surface bears directly on the floor (tub surface)? The thinset helps in stability, but you may not need it if you have good bearing surface. It's always a good idea to put ledgers around the three sides positioned to where the lip of the tub rests on them, especially heavy tubs.

Registered
Didn鈥檛 read it all.....but you are fine with cement board taped and red guard. Not worth the drive for denshield.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
How much surface bears directly on the floor (tub surface)? The thinset helps in stability, but you may not need it if you have good bearing surface. It's always a good idea to put ledgers around the three sides positioned to where the lip of the tub rests on them, especially heavy tubs.
Looks like the 4 small feet under the bottom and the front apron touch the floor. Putting 2x4 supports under the 2 ends and the back might be a good idea.

Registered
I fir the wall out a quarter inch or so and run the cementitious backer down over about half of the tub flange, not tight to the tub.

Reactions: Pat the Rat

Naildriver
I fir the wall out a quarter inch or so
Doing that you take a chance of the remaining walls in the bathroom being 1/4" out. That is why I like bringing the cbu tight to the studs and stop it at the tub/shower flange. Your tile will jump the gap.

Registered
Typically the back side of a tub is supported with a ledger board. Only the front side needs to be shimmed.

Considering the fact that I actually thought you had used Kerdi board to start your project, yes, I think it was pretty ugly :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah that鈥檚 how the bathroom looked when my son bought the house.

looks like i鈥檓 going to have to move the tub about 4鈥 away from the wall that鈥檚 near the window due to a joist that runs where the tub drain will go. If i move it over 4鈥 i can straddle the joist with a 2鈥 notch it鈥檚 an 8鈥 joist so that should be okay. The fixtures will be on the left. I thought I鈥檇 just build a wall/shelf on the right just to the height of the window sill to fill the space.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Typically the back side of a tub is supported with a ledger board. Only the front side needs to be shimmed.

Considering the fact that I actually thought you had used Kerdi board to start your project, yes, I think it was pretty ugly :)
So if you shim up the front, won't it stick up off the floor? Is the finished flooring supposed to cover this?

Registered
So if you shim up the front, won't it stick up off the floor? Is the finished flooring supposed to cover this?
Well supposedly your floor is level. But we all know that doesn't always happen. If you tile, it will cover up small gaps. Personally, I trim out the front of tubs anyway, with vinyl quarter round, so it's never an issue regardless of whether they're using tile or vinyl flooring. The trim also helps with imperfect tile installation.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
floor isn't very level as I found out today. probably a 1/2" off for the width of the tub. would be pretty difficult to get it level without lifting the front apron up that much. Not sure yet, but that's about what it looks like. don't want water dripping out on the floor.

Registered
just saw videos of people recommending red guard, so i thought it might be worth using.
Red guard works well, dries fast. Put 2x coats, maybe three around key areas. If you use it like this, you won't need baker board, just use green drywall. The Red guard is water proof.

Registered
Red guard works well, dries fast. Put 2x coats, maybe three around key areas. If you use it like this, you won't need baker board, just use green drywall. The Red guard is water proof.
If it's waterproof, why do we need green drywall?

Registered
I'm working on renovating a 90 year old house. It had a cast iron/ceramic tub that never had a shower, but I want to add one with a tile surround above the tub. The room is gutted right now down to the studs. I'll be applying closed cell foam insulation to the exterior wall. I want to put the tub along the exterior wall, but I'm not sure if I should put greenboard up first or just put the tub against the bare studs. I know the greenboard or cement board should come down and overlap the rim, but I'd need a double layer of wallboard (whichever) to do that. I'd also heard not to put greenboard behind cement board. Basically I'm not sure how far away from the wall I should put the tub. Should it be a half inch away or up against the studs? I'm not going to put the tub there till I notch out the joist below the tub to fit the drain tube. It won't be much of a notch. It just sits maybe an inch below the floor. Just didn't want to make the notch any wider than I have to in order to fit.

Registered
I'm working on renovating a 90 year old house. It had a cast iron/ceramic tub that never had a shower, but I want to add one with a tile surround above the tub. The room is gutted right now down to the studs. I'll be applying closed cell foam insulation to the exterior wall. I want to put the tub along the exterior wall, but I'm not sure if I should put greenboard up first or just put the tub against the bare studs. I know the greenboard or cement board should come down and overlap the rim, but I'd need a double layer of wallboard (whichever) to do that. I'd also heard not to put greenboard behind cement board. Basically I'm not sure how far away from the wall I should put the tub. Should it be a half inch away or up against the studs? I'm not going to put the tub there till I notch out the joist below the tub to fit the drain tube. It won't be much of a notch. It just sits maybe an inch below the floor. Just didn't want to make the notch any wider than I have to in order to fit.
Research Kerdi board and membrane , would sit nicely on the tub edge and membrane is great at controlling water. I used it in two showers in my house and really like it ,

21 - 39 of 39 Posts