DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
i carved this sword
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im drawing another house, this time a 2 story, the overhead joists will be 2x10s (i like those for all floor joists, and thought since its a 2nd floor i should go with that), a wall under neath is perpendicular to the joists, my question is "should i go with 2x6 studs or are 2x4 studs acceptable? "

·
Hammered Thumb
2,803 Posts
Structurally, 2x4 is adequate (up to a certain height). Non-bearing and bearing interior usually stays 2x4 unless you want a wider wet wall. The change to 2x6 on exterior walls is to get more insulating value to meet energy requirements.

·
i carved this sword
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
while I have the thread up and active, i seemed to have screwed up a bit on the butt walls, instead of placing the studs 16 oc from the outer edge, i went from the place where the through and butt meet, do i need to redraw the walls or would code allow jumping in a stud every 8 feet on center to give sheathing something to attach to where sheets meet?

Attachments

·
retired framer
38,963 Posts
Lay out is usually done for the corners and inside wall it starts at the outside of the outside walls,

On the outside if the framer makes that mistake he would just cut sheeting to fit or add a a studs to make it work .
The inside usually doesn't matter except for the insulator as drywall is usually long enough for full sheets and no or few but joins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts