DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing a 30 year old electric wall oven. There is #6 stranded aluminum cable running to the breaker panel, and the old oven's armored cable is connected with wire nuts. No way to tell if they are rated for AL/CU connections. Given their age, my guess is they are not.

The new oven has a similar armored cable with #12 stranded copper conductors.

I've been looking for a AL/CU rated connector for these conductor sizes, but am having trouble finding one.

There are the Ideal Purple Twister wire nuts which are AL/CU rated, but they are not for use with wire gauges larger than #10.

I found some split bolt connectors, like the Blackburn APS06, but the smallest gauge for use on those is #10, not #12.

Finally, I came across Polaris IT-4 connectors, which are for #4 - #14. That looks like my best bet so far.

Is there anything else I've overlooked?

·
Very Stable Genius
4,164 Posts
Can't find the specs for them right now but think this type would do.
Also not certain of manufacturer(s) but think ILSCO might be one.
Home Depot sells them.
Best to install with heat shrink sleeve.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,829 Posts
Polaris connectors are expensive but IMO are the best solution for a DIYer.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jim Port

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
Polaris in the size range needed are not that large. The wires also dress nicer coming from the same direction . . They also don't need a heat gun or torch to shrink the tubing.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't find the specs for them right now but think this type would do.
Also not certain of manufacturer(s) but think ILSCO might be one.
Home Depot sells them.
Best to install with heat shrink sleeve.

Thanks for your help!

I found these ILSCO connectors at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackburn-Dual-Rated-Splicer-Reducer-2-Stranded-to-14-AWG-with-Solid-Barrier-Wire-Stop-2-Pack-ASR0214-B2-10/100172350

One question I have is whether the NEC allows two stranded wires under one set screw terminal with this type of connector.

I'm connecting a new wall oven with a 4-wire copper armored cable to the old existing 3-wire aluminum cable coming from the electrical panel. I need to connect the stranded #12 neutral and ground wires from the wall oven together and connect them to the ground from the cable. Can I do it this way, or would a pigtail to screw terminal on the connector block be the correct method?

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
Those connectors are for one conductor in each end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts