DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, in a fit of rage, my now ex-girlfriend knocked a lamp off my dresser. The lamp stayed plugged in when it hit the floor. It also still worked. She then proceeded to kick the lamp. The bulb didn't break, but the lamp and the outlet it was plugged into now no longer work. Does anyone know what may have happened electrically? I've checked my breakers and nothing has been tripped. Sorry for the extra personal type info, but it's the only way I could figure out how to word my question.

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Try the lamp in a different known-good outlet with a new bulb.

Try the girlfriend in a different outlet; it does wonders for Anger Management.:laughing:
Nah, just kidding. The lamp should be way easier to fix than the girlfriend problem.

·
Super Moderator
20,911 Posts
The receptacle likely now needs to be replaced. It is probably physically broken inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL. Well guess what? My wall outlet works now. Although none of the breakers tripped, I figured what the hell, I'll just turn each breaker off and then back on and see what happens. Lo and behold, that did the trick and now things are back to normal. Well at least as far as electrical outlets go...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Actually, one of your breakers DID trip! When they trip, they don't move to the Off position, and often it's difficult to see which one has tripped.
Usually, you can tell by moving each one slightly towards off. The one that has tripped will be easier to move than the others.
What you did was to reset the tripped breaker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts