DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to decided upon the best option for heating my garage. I think I have this narrowed down to a wall heater or a hanging type of shop heater. As another post discusses, I recently had a problem with a baseboard heater in my house and I was thinking of replacing with a wall heater, as I can get a 4000 watt wall heater that doesn't take up much more space than a 4' - 1000watt baseboard. Obviously the 4000watt will provide much more heat, but upon reading they say they really shouldn't be placed on exterior walls because of condensation.

This has me wondering, since my garage only has exterior walls, is it a bad idea for the garage? Lots of people seem to use them there and even on exterior walls.

The garage was built in the early 1900's and thus has 2x4 rafters and joists. I have been installing OSB on top of the joists for storage and wonder if it would be ok/better to install the wall heater from the ceiling facing down. I actually almost like that idea better than in the wall, because it gives me better options as for locations.....

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hot Dawg heater

My husband had a Hot Dawg gas heater installed in the garage a year ago. One wall of the garage adjoins the house, and it's an oversized 2 stall. We have natural gas, but I'm sure this could also be used with propane if needed. It's ceiling mounted and has a thermostat. As I recall, the total cost was under a thousand dollars, including installation. He tried using 2 radiant electric heaters prior to that, but they just didn't give enough warmth. I haven't really noticed a jump in our monthly gas bill since installation.

·
Registered
201 Posts
DON'T install a wall heater in the ceiling. Heating appliances are OFTEN designed with orientation in mind. You will quite likely inadvertantly direct heat into a part of the machine that isn't supposed to get hot, and the result will be your garage burning to the ground.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DON'T install a wall heater in the ceiling. Heating appliances are OFTEN designed with orientation in mind. You will quite likely inadvertantly direct heat into a part of the machine that isn't supposed to get hot, and the result will be your garage burning to the ground.
Good to know and won't do that. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts