DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to build a wall between the shower and wall. I need to remove drywall first, I believe.

Does the bottom plate need to be anchored to the concrete? Do I attach the top plate to the ceiling joists, or build the wall on the ground? This is not square. It's about 5.5" of space in the corner and smaller as you go out from the wall. Are the studs supposed to be 16" OC?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll add more. I'm going to go ahead and put the shower surround in. They do not reach to the ceiling. So I will need to build a wall above the shower. How do I anchor that to the rest?

·
retired framer
44,267 Posts
Not enough information, I am not sure what tub surround you have. Usually we that installed before drywall or backing?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not enough information, I am not sure what tub surround you have. Usually we that installed before drywall or backing?
I'll have this info shortly. Are the surrounds supposed to go straight to the studs with no drywall in between? So I need to take that drywall down.

·
retired framer
44,267 Posts
I'll have this info shortly. Are the surrounds supposed to go straight to the studs with no drywall in between? So I need to take that drywall down.

We a plastic base or a full one piece shower, so I have not seen what you are talking about. Does it have a name or a brand, did it come with instructions?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

We a plastic base or a full one piece shower, so I have not seen what you are talking about. Does it have a name or a brand, did it come with instructions?
This is a plastic base. I believe the surrounds are dreamline brand.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This is a plastic base. I believe the surrounds are dreamline brand.
Is this what you have.

Yes, except mine are in 5 pieces. The 2 side pieces on the shower are too long. Can they be cut? They would fit perfectly if there wasn't a corner piece.

Also, these seem too short for the ceilings. The shower is a 10', the tub is an 8'. It might look weird to build such a large thing on top of it. Perhaps I need taller surrounds.

You can see that the plumber put the shower head higher than the top on both the tub and shower surround.

Seems like the enclosures to straight to studs. Is that correct?

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,267 Posts
Yes, except mine are in 5 pieces. The 2 side pieces on the shower are too long. Can they be cut? They would fit perfectly if there wasn't a corner piece.

Also, these seem too short for the ceilings. The shower is a 10', the tub is an 8'. It might look weird to build such a large thing on top of it. Perhaps I need taller surrounds.

You can see that the plumber put the shower head higher than the top on both the tub and shower surround.

Seems like the enclosures to straight to studs. Is that correct?
I don't know enough about them and my guesses will not help much.

Hopefully some one with experience will be along soon.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After looking at some other showers, I see that my only issue is building a wall here. I'm not building anything above, and I'll worry about surrounds later.

What to do about the fact that it's not square? A 2x6 fits in the corner, but it narrows out as it gets further away from back wall.

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,267 Posts
After looking at some other showers, I see that my only issue is building a wall here. I'm not building anything above, and I'll worry about surrounds later.

What to do about the fact that it's not square? A 2x6 fits in the corner, but it narrows out as it gets further away from back wall.
So with out ripping the drywall down you have to find things to nail to.
You want to go floor to ceiling you will be creating all kinds of trouble later.

You want to come out past the stud in the wall with a 2x4 plate on the floor and ceiling.

Is there anything in the ceiling to nail to? We can do a cheat there if we have to .

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,267 Posts
So the wall would look something like this looking at the bottom plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the wall would look something like this looking at the bottom plate.
Are you sure?

A 2x6 barely fits at the corner marked red. It won't fit in the yellow corner.

Does the bottom plate need to be fastened to the floor? Do I fasten the top plate to the ceiling? Or build the wall first then pick it up? 16" OC? Or 24"?

How to account for the fact that 2x6 won't fit? Must I use 2x4?

I know it's not ideal, but can I leave the drywall up? Best not to create more work.

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,267 Posts
Are you sure?

A 2x6 barely fits at the corner marked red. It won't fit in the yellow corner.

Does the bottom plate need to be fastened to the floor? Do I fasten the top plate to the ceiling? Or build the wall first then pick it up? 16" OC? Or 24"?

How to account for the fact that 2x6 won't fit? Must I use 2x4?

I know it's not ideal, but can I leave the drywall up? Best not to create more work.
Step by step.
Measure out from the red dot to the screws in the wall just left of the shower base.

Add 2" to that and cut a 2x4 that length.

Tack it to the floor so it would be perfect for the base.

Draw a plumb line from the side of that on the back wall right to the ceiling on the back wall.
Draw plumb line from the yellow end all the way to the ceiling.

Check both wall to see if they are leaning in or out,
Is there anything in the ceiling to nail to. Do you have access above the ceiling or is there floor above.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Step by step.
Measure out from the red dot to the screws in the wall just left of the shower base.

Add 2" to that and cut a 2x4 that length.

Tack it to the floor so it would be perfect for the base.

Draw a plumb line from the side of that on the back wall right to the ceiling on the back wall.
Draw plumb line from the yellow end all the way to the ceiling.

Check both wall to see if they are leaning in or out,
Is there anything in the ceiling to nail to. Do you have access above the ceiling or is there floor above.
"Measure from red dot to screws in the wall left of the shower". You mean the ones I circled in green?

What does tack mean? Couldn't find it on Google. Tapcon? Ramset?

Use plumb bobs for plumb lines?

On plumb line from yellow dot, do I start from wall or from the 2x4 that is touching the shower?

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,267 Posts
"Measure from red dot to screws in the wall left of the shower". You mean the ones I circled in green?

On plumb line from yellow dot, do I start from wall or from the 2x4 that is touching the shower?

Hmm, concrete floor. Put you level against the back outside corner of the shower base, the end bubble is for plumb. draw the line up the wall move up and continue, then from that line you can check all the way up to see if a 2x6 stud will fit. You want a 2x6 stud there so it can be nailed in the corner where there is a stud behind the drywall.

At the yellow end just go out passed the drywall screws 2 inches and draw a plump line to the ceiling. See where I drew the brown line for a plate.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Hmm, concrete floor. Put you level against the back outside corner of the shower base, the end bubble is for plumb. draw the line up the wall move up and continue, then from that line you can check all the way up to see if a 2x6 stud will fit. You want a 2x6 stud there so it can be nailed in the corner where there is a stud behind the drywall.

At the yellow end just go out passed the drywall screws 2 inches and draw a plump line to the ceiling. See where I drew the brown line for a plate.

It's impossible for me to picture what you're saying

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's impossible for me to picture what you're saying
Does this help?
Yes thank you.

So...

1. 2x4 bottom plate pressed flush against the shower base.

2. Draw plumb line on back wall and attach 2x6.

3. Attach top plate after removing ceiling drywall.

4. Use bottom and top plate to align stud from yellow corner.

5. Fill in 24" OC.

???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts