DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out walking and ran across this willow tree that looked like it had too much of something.

Kinda cool though.

D976641B-43C8-4CCD-A347-0B1BC09602FD.jpeg

4BE2A9F1-9092-4C44-8456-901E382B1F71.jpeg

B6E435E8-494C-4D17-88FD-8BECDF76F02F.jpeg

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Aren't willows & cottonwoods naturally by streams, here? It looks like the sun & heat got to it.
The general disrepair of landscaping around here drives me crazy. I don't know why people aren't watering & gardeners aren't working. . .
The local Taco Bell has had water pooling around the sprinkler controls for months. Plants are dying.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aren't willows & cottonwoods naturally by streams, here? It looks like the sun & heat got to it.
The general disrepair of landscaping around here drives me crazy. I don't know why people aren't watering & gardeners aren't working. . .
The local Taco Bell has had water pooling around the sprinkler controls for months. Plants are dying.
This is a variety that's bred to look like that!

Used to sell them in the nursery way back in ancient times. They're sorta cool compared to normal willows since they're not quite the rapacious Rooty Monsters of Doom the "normal" ones are. You might actually be able to plant one in your garden without running the risk of setting up a special college fund for the Rooter Dude's (or Gal's) kids.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's bred to look dead?
Great slogan!

It's far far from dead, trust me. One of our other DIY members has a Harry [someone]'s Walking Stick tree. Maybe they'll pipe up . . . .

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Isn't called a Corkscrew Willow (Salix matsudana). I have seen these in yards on the west coast, but planted in the wrong place for sure. Kind of messy at times. Hmmmm?
YC on YT
"Kind of messy at times"?

Really messy, ALL the time! But, smaller than a regular willow. Kind of like a messy Pomeranian in the house, compared to, maybe, a messy long-haired polar bear, which eats the furniture then you, then poops all over the rug.

And sheds everywhere!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
"Kind of messy at times"?

Really messy, ALL the time! But, smaller than a regular willow. Kind of like a messy Pomeranian in the house, compared to, maybe, a messy long-haired polar bear, which eats the furniture then you, then poops all over the rug.

And sheds everywhere!
sounds like it's time for a chainsaw!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts