DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install a new thermostat. My system is only 6 years old. My current thermostat has this configuration.
American Standard Thermostat
OT1/Black
OT2/Brown
W3/Pink
R/Red
W2/Gray
W1/White
Y1/Yellow
G/Green
O/Orange
B/Blue

I am trying to install a Honeywell RTH7560E.
Here are the available wire slots.
S
S
Y
Y2
G
C
U
U
L/A A
O/B
AUX W2
E
W
K
R
RC

Can anyone tell me if this thermostat will work? If so, where do my current wires go? If not, what thermostat do I need?

Thank You!

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Any particular reason why you want to change the thermostat? Not sure if you'll get any more useful features from the new one.

We'll need to know the model number of the air handler /furnace and heat pump outside to be sure. The model number is the current thermostat will also help. It has an outdoor temp sensor that seems to be used. The honeywell can also use one but we'll have to check if it can use the same sensor.

IIRC the U terminals can be configured to be W3 when needed

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll get all of that info for you. The thermostat I have now isn’t programmable. I’ve been want to put one in for a while now.

·
Administrator
41,421 Posts
Might also help if you can post a pic of where the wires are connected in the indoor unit.

Sometimes, a wire will be connected in the thermostat, and at the indoor unit. That wire will connect to the same wire as another thermostat wire is connected. Making it not required in some cases.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
This is a heat pump, correct?
Heat pumps run best and most efficient when left to a consistent setpoint. So it’s in your best interest to disable the programming function on your new programmable thermostat in heating mode. As raising the setpoint, will bring on the electric auxiliary heat, and erase any savings you had by setting the temperature back.
Do you have a standard heat pump with electric backup?

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Based on the Honeywell instructions, you have the option for only 2-stage heat:

So I'm not a pro, but I think your W3 wire, which is for 3-stage heating, isn't used. You may have to jumper the W2 and W3 terminals.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
retail thermostat is far from ideal for heatpumps in cold climates - no outdoor sensor support for one thing, also far fewer options.

Programming is counter-productive in heating mode and generally if the hp is properly sized for cooling, doesn't have the capacity to pull the temp down fast in hot weather. Only when there are tou electric rates involved does it make sense to set up a program.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts