DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my handyman doing some electrical work for me at the house. After he disconnected some outlets and reconnected new and old romex wires, the garage lights are not working any longer.

I am getting 60 V between hot and neutral when the switch is on and 38 V when the switch is off!!! Also all the garage outlets are reading 60 Volts. I have no idea what has gone wrong.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
post pictures of the work you have done
include close ups of the wiring
so we can see whats connectted to what
then
un do the new work you have performed,
does the old system work properly again ?

Tell us what you want to do !
then we can advise the correct way

:glasses:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses. OK so after some rewiring the voltage between the hot and the neutral reads 120 V as expected. However, there is a ground issue.
As I had mentioned previously all these outlets are in the garage and have the same issue.

I have measured the voltage between the hot and the ground and it reads 86 Volts and the voltage between the neutral and ground reads 34 Volts. Note that 86+34=120 V.

So my question is can I just have all these outlets replaced with gfci protected outlets or is that not relevant as my grounds are no longer true ground?

Or can I just attach my ground to the metal box inside the outlet in which case it reads 24 Volts and 4 Volts between hot/neutral and the metal box respectively?

·
Super Moderator
9,981 Posts
Thank you for the responses. OK so after some rewiring the voltage between the hot and the neutral reads 120 V as expected. However, there is a ground issue.
As I had mentioned previously all these outlets are in the garage and have the same issue.

I have measured the voltage between the hot and the ground and it reads 86 Volts and the voltage between the neutral and ground reads 34 Volts. Note that 86+34=120 V.

So my question is can I just have all these outlets replaced with gfci protected outlets or is that not relevant as my grounds are no longer true ground?

Or can I just attach my ground to the metal box inside the outlet in which case it reads 24 Volts and 4 Volts between hot/neutral and the metal box respectively?
Time to call an electrician!

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
if your reading a voltage between neutral and ground ?
There's two options- your reading ghost voltage
OR
your neutral is not correctly bonded to ground.

Your in over your head !
please get an electrician ?

:vs_cool:

·
Very Stable Genius
4,654 Posts

Sounds like you have more than one issue. Possibly hot/neutral
reversed AND at least one part of the cct floating. Sorting these
things out is WAY harder than wiring from scratch. It needs to
be sorted, NOT just band-aided over. An electrician is your best
bet, but if you really want to do it yourself, run a cord from a known
good receptacle so you have something to measure against. Beware;
the known good cct may be the opposite leg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.