DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing my concrete block foundation. It is five courses high and will have a crawl space only.
My block mason is installing small vinyl (14"x30") windows only for ventilation if needed.
The vinyl windows are in the upper last 2 courses of block. Although he expressed no concern, I don't think they will support the weight of framing and trusses above.
The sill (2"x8") will span 30" across the window.

My concern is that the slider window may not operate if the load is too much.

Do you think I should add a steel plate or "header" above the opening framing, or not worry ?

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,891 Posts
Your suspicion is correct, they are NOT intended to support framing. If the floor joists actually bear on the wall in question it can be as simple as doubling up the skirt/band on the first floor, and then installing joist hangers on them to support the floor joists that fall over the window.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I will be using 9 1/2" "I" joists and "Rim" joists.

Did you mean to add an extra lets say 4 Foot rim joist against the outside one and then hangers on that ?

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,891 Posts
I will be using 9 1/2" "I" joists and "Rim" joists.

Did you mean to add an extra lets say 4 Foot rim joist against the outside one and then hangers on that ?
Yes, exactly, and from what I've seen of the rim joists for I joists, you could probably even use two layers of that if you have enough material left over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts