DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had self stick vinyl tiles on particle board in three rooms for 20 + years.
Water heater leaked for several months in laundry room and soaked the floor. A handyman talked me into tearing up the particle board and replacing it with particle board - and charged me three times what a local licensed contractor did to replace the water heater.
I plan to put self stick vinyl tile again. Homeguides says "...vinyl tiles can be installed on it, provided the particleboard is sealed first.
Seal the particleboard well with a shellac sealer. Sealing is crucial with vinyl flooring because there is no grout between the tiles to prevent moisture from seeping through the installation and swelling the subfloor."

I called the contractor who put in the water heater and he isn't sure the vinyl tiles will stick to shellac. Some others think it's a good idea, others don't.

Any insights about this?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I haven't put down any vinyl tiles in a long time. But when we used to, we used 1/4" luan for underlayment. They used to make a latex primer that came in quart size plastic bottles. It was on the thin side and you just rolled a coat on and let it dry. It dried in a short amount of time, half hour or so. Then you layed the tiles and they stuck fine. I'm not a particle board fan at all. You won't find any in my shop. But I would do whatever the tile manufacturer says. If they said to seal the particle board with shellac, then use it. I don't see why tiles wouldn't stick to it. Shellac dries very quickly.
Mike Hawkins:smile:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.