DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back of our home is exposed to some hot sun in the summertime here in WI. I am starting to see more and more white spots (nickel size) show up that are in front of the nailheads beneath the siding. Is there any way to wash the siding or does this have to be repainted? The spots run straight down from top to bottom and they are spaced out between 1 feet of each other. These spots are noticeable on the entire back portion of our home.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try washing with some Fantastick,it's probably just dust that collects on the condensation where the nails are
what if I usea pressure washer w/ all purpose cleaner like Fantastik lightly to clean the siding vs rubbing over 50 ft of vinyl siding?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well try it by hand first and see how it goes,if you know how to properly power wash a house do it
what if I take a little bleach and warm water and lightly scrub with a firm brush. Is this something that insurance would possibly cover?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
what if I take a little bleach and warm water and lightly scrub with a firm brush. Is this something that insurance would possibly cover?
It's doubtful your insurance company will cover washing the house. They wouldn't cover a material issue either.
Try cleaning it with whatever you want and see if it comes off. If it doesn't, you can replace it or live with it. Pressure washing would need to be done very carefully or you'll cut right through the vinyl.
Ron

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's doubtful your insurance company will cover washing the house. They wouldn't cover a material issue either.
Try cleaning it with whatever you want and see if it comes off. If it doesn't, you can replace it or live with it. Pressure washing would need to be done very carefully or you'll cut right through the vinyl.
Ron

wow Ron thanks for the "specific" advice.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Based on these pictures can I get a recommendation?
Advice doesn't change. Experiment with various cleaners an see what happens.
Start in an inconspicuous place.
It could be the heat from the nail heads has permanently discolored the siding.
Ron

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Advice doesn't change. Experiment with various cleaners an see what happens.
Start in an inconspicuous place.
It could be the heat from the nail heads has permanently discolored the siding.
Ron
Well...someone asked me to post pics. I don't wanna "test" with any chemicals especially on my home's siding.

·
Super Moderator
12,628 Posts
I would certainly try to clean it but if it is actually faded then our stuck.

You can paint vinyl siding but I’ve never been satisfied with the result.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would certainly try to clean it but if it actually faded then our stuck.

You can paint vinyl siding but I’ve never been satisfied with the result.
we have had bad hail storms over the years. insurance covered the cost of my roof 3 yrs ago, but i don't think they would touch this.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts