DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to reno a 1950s house. Started tkaing off the aluminum siding only to find out...

There's a 1/2 foam board underneath the aluminum. Under that is the original cement shingle siding. We'd like to put new vinyl siding on.

My plan was to remove all the foam board. Then wrap the house with Tyvek. Then put on 1/2 furring strips. Then put the vinyl siding on. From research I've done, this seems like a legit plan. Not worried about taking off the foam board because the house has fiberglass insulation.

This is actually the second house I've run into cement shingle. First house was my own, and I took off the cement shingle and also the original cedar shingle underneath that. Rather than do all that work and have to rent a dumpster to get rid of all the shingles, I'm looking to do something different.

Posting because I wonder if anyone else has put vinyl siding over cement shingle. Any problems with my plan that you see? Any suggestions for easier ways to do it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Need to amend this, going to put the furring strips underneath the house wrap to prevent weather damage to the furring strips

·
Registered
11,708 Posts
Cement shingles are a relatively new product. I suspect what you are dealing with is the old asbestos shingles, I've seen them covered up several times.

I know you don't want to hear that, but asbestos shingles need special handling and they do look like cement.

Bud

·
Registered
37,269 Posts
Why go to all the trouble of removing the foam instead of just taping the seams and go over it with house wrap, it's adding some R value.
If I had to guess, it would be that under that siding there's going to be tar paper and 1 X 6's for sheathing.
Your opening up a whole new can of worms by removing that old siding and it's not doing any harm being left in place.

·
retired framer
41,601 Posts
If the house has age, those will be asbestos cement shingles that if touched should be dealt with properly.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The asbestos shingles are harmless if you leave them where they are.
To remove them requires an abatement contractor.
I would leave the foam where it is,as well.

·
retired framer
41,601 Posts
The biggest expense for them here is price per pound to dump them in some special place. Needs to be looked into before deciding to remove them. If you are allowed to do it your self. :surprise:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts