DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a house that was built in the late 70's. It is mostly brick veneer with vinyl siding on the upper portion of the gable ends. I've noticed that the wood sheathing under the vinyl is exposed at the bottom where it meets the brick. The sheathing is further out than the brick. There is no brick sill that the siding meets. The wood sheathing has started to rot in some places. Is there supposed to be a cap or flashing at the bottom so water doesn't access this wood? This area also allows bugs to access my attic space and one way or another it needs to be sealed off. Below is a rough drawing of the issue. Thank you for the help.

https://ibb.co/i6Hoc7

·
Registered
37,269 Posts
A real picture of your home would be far more use full.
Sheathing should have been run past the brick by at least 1", starter strip, not J molding.
Installed correctly the starter strip should have been installed so it sat about 1/2" below the sheathing.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
As an alternative to adding another strip of siding or siding starter, you could use a wooden trim molding strip, sometimes called a water table molding. Internet search for pictures. The idea is to get a piece of wood under the last piece of siding and over the sheathing, and about 1/2" over the brick.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I recently bought a house that was built in the late 70's. It is mostly brick veneer with vinyl siding on the upper portion of the gable ends. I've noticed that the wood sheathing under the vinyl is exposed at the bottom where it meets the brick. The sheathing is further out than the brick. There is no brick sill that the siding meets. The wood sheathing has started to rot in some places. Is there supposed to be a cap or flashing at the bottom so water doesn't access this wood? This area also allows bugs to access my attic space and one way or another it needs to be sealed off. Below is a rough drawing of the issue. Thank you for the help.

https://ibb.co/i6Hoc7
Something like this. Obviously don’t install it so sloppy and use a color that goes with your siding.

Attachments

·
retired framer
41,611 Posts
As Chuck said you could remove some siding add a lower band of wood and flashing and move the starter up.
See post 4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into both these suggestions.

I noticed that one gable side has the starter strip and the other has one for about 6 inches and then there is no starter strip. I'm assuming the contractor ran out of the strip and said screw it or it was removed post construction for whatever reason.

Here are some pictures of the actual issue.

20180402_191748.jpg

20180402_191839.jpg

20180402_191819.jpg

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I'd say leave it as is. You can fill it with caulk or strip of trim, eg 1/2" quarter round or such, but you may be blocking the drainage. Search the images of how the vinyl siding is installed. If you can see the house wrap, you can also finish the exposure with paint but avoid painting over the house wrap. If you can avoid blocking the drainage, it is better to caulk or such because it looks like lot of air could come in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts