DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'd like to free float vinyl sheet over my newly installed existing tiles in bathrooms and kitchen. I am trying to preserve my tiles underneath and do not want to use any adhesives. I understand that grout lines and uneven areas will show through the vinyl sheet.

My question is: is there an underlayment or a way I can level out the floor for the vinyl sheet?

Thanks!

Bella

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I dunno...it isn't really the right way to do things. I suppose you could lay some hardwood underlayment to smooth out the surface, but it'll be squishy. Which might not necessarily be a bad thing.

·
retired framer
38,927 Posts
I dunno...it isn't really the right way to do things. I suppose you could lay some hardwood underlayment to smooth out the surface, but it'll be squishy. Which might not necessarily be a bad thing.
But what about the edge of the tub and toilet?

·
Hammered Thumb
2,785 Posts
free float vinyl sheet . . . do not want to use any adhesives.
Floating sheet vinyl actually uses a double-sided tape. If not, you will get trippable "bubbles" or "waves" (especially with so many grout lines allowing big air gaps underneath).

is there an underlayment or a way I can level out the floor for the vinyl sheet?
I sure hope the tile is level. If you want to cover the grout lines, the edges on anything solid you install will stick up or move since you can't fasten it. Unless you pour one continuous layer of epoxy or something, which defeats the purpose of the tile.

over my newly installed existing tiles in bathrooms and kitchen. I am trying to preserve my tiles underneath
If it's a kiln-fired tile, it's probably much more durable than any floating sheet vinyl will be.

The edging is a good point. You will need some sort of trim to hold it down (i.e. shoe molding/quarter rnd) at the perimeter. Caulk is not the best over long lengths because of the movement. You also have the joints between rooms (assuming you will have a couple) that if occur over a grout line will probably separate.

Sorta like buying a white couch and leaving an opaque plastic on it, so you can't enjoy it but the next owner will?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer your question: I’d like to preserve my kitchen and bathroom ceramic tiles because I will be renting out my home to tenants. My home was remodeled and I’d like added protection to protect my tiles and investment. My previous tenants damaged and broke 80% of my kitchen floor tiles and removed caulking and grout from my bathroom tiles. This caused extensive damage to the subfloor and walls where the entire bathroom had to be gutted. Is vinyl planks over ceramic tiles a better option than a vinyl sheet? Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts