DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remodeling the master bathroom and will be installing cork backed vinyl plank flooring. The existing floor is pretty beat-up from removing the previously installed tile and backer board. I'm thinking I should add 1/4" plywood to the particle board sub floor to insure a smooth surface. Another way would be leveling compound but that's messy. Any suggestions

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
What subfloor materials will the finished flooring stick to (if self-adhesive). If you need a glue, know that surface materials the glue will work with well.
IMO, particle board and wet areas don't mix. I might be tempted to remove the pb if adding new subfloor would raise height too much.

·
Registered
135 Posts
is it particle board or OSB?
I've only renovated a few houses, but particle board wasn't used here.

What does the subfloor actually look like? The problem you will have is that you need to knock down anything that is raised up in order to get your ply to sit nice with the subfloor or you're going to have problems. d I'd glue and nail down if you're doing it, construction adhesive.

small divots won't matter for either the LVP or the ply.

I like the LVP stuff. I just installed 600 sqft in my basement and it looks great and the kids like playing on it.

However, I just had a big flood in my laundry room and the water got under the floor (from the edge) and I had to rip out 100 sqft b/c it was soaked.

Keep in mind its water proof from the top, not water proof from the bottom. If you get water under the floor you're going to have to pull it up to dry out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
is it particle board or OSB?
I've only renovated a few houses, but particle board wasn't used here.

What does the subfloor actually look like? The problem you will have is that you need to knock down anything that is raised up in order to get your ply to sit nice with the subfloor or you're going to have problems. d I'd glue and nail down if you're doing it, construction adhesive.

small divots won't matter for either the LVP or the ply.

I like the LVP stuff. I just installed 600 sqft in my basement and it looks great and the kids like playing on it. Its Coretec XL Montrose Oak

However, I just had a big flood in my laundry room and the water got under the floor (from the edge) and I had to rip out 100 sqft b/c it was soaked.

Keep in mind its water proof from the top, not water proof from the bottom. If you get water under the floor you're going to have to pull it up to dry out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.