DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1914 craftsman bungalow. Currently a heating duct comes up in a wall between two rooms with air control devices on each side of the wall. These have the flaps to control which room gets the most heat. I want to remove these, make the duct divide into 2 floor ducts, and make a doorway. What’s the best way?

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,663 Posts
Floor registers get expensive. They are heaver gauge metal.
Personally your going to do a lot of work for very little gain other than appearances.

I have had good luck with this company in the past.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally your going to do a lot of work for very little gain other than appearances.

Good link, They look like they would have just about anything. I think there might be room to turn 90 degrees into the wall, then keep it in the 8 inch baseboard , or go up up into the wall more. I need the damper on both sides to control the heat in the 2 rooms usually don't send heat into the one room cause it get's some heat from another register. this will allow the new room to have access to the bathroom.. Thanks very much

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

Many shared wall registers were designed for gravity heat with no fan and don't work well on forced air setups especially for cooling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many shared wall registers were designed for gravity heat with no fan and don't work well on forced air setups especially for cooling.
That’s probably how this one started out. The only way to get cooling upstairs there in the main bedroom upstairs is to also make some adjustments on the first floor, to send more air up that way. But, with fiddling, you can get it cooled. Otherwise, the guests open the screenless
windows and you have bats in the house!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts