DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Vintage metal kitchen cabinets

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  WillK 
#1 ·
Just out of curiousity... My house came with newer particle board kitchen cabinets in the kitchen, but in the garage there were 3 base cabinets and a wall cabinet from the mid-50's that are Youngstown all metal cabinets.

My wife would never go for something vintage no matter the condition, but I might use them as workbenches in the garage unless by some miracle there was someone offering decent money for them.

My question is this: I'm assuming that if these were used in a kitchen, it would be prudent to ground them. Does code require this under any or all circumstances, be they in use in a kitchen or any other location?

#3 ·
What would be the benefit? Just because something is metal doesn't mean it is an electrical hazard. In fact, a grounded cabinet may be more dangerous than an ungrounded one because the ground would create a current path. A metal cabinet fastened to 2x4s and sitting on a wood sub floor is no more a threat than wooden cabinets.

#4 ·
Metal sink cabinet with metal sink with garbage disposal... I guess when you think about it along those lines, you could consider that metal sinks don't need to be grounded.

I'm going to maybe use this question on the inspector tommorrow if it seems like maybe he's getting too picky and a chance to show off his knowledge might be the distraction needed to keep him from inventing more reasons to not pass my inspection. And I'm not kidding, as I've mentioned in other threads, one of his last rejection issues was solely based on his own opinion. I've got every single thing I can think of covered, but he seems to have a knack for surprising me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.