DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an existing 50amp breaker and 3 prong plug and would like to connect a vintage GE electric range.

I do not know the amperage of the vintage range, and I need to replace the plug, as it is weathered.

Is it okay to replace the (unknown amp) plug with a 3 prong, 50amp plug and connect it to the 50 amp breaker?

What would happen if the range is actually 30amps (or 35, or 40...) - will the oversized plug or oversized breaker have consequences??

The GE Range model #:1J367M

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
GE recommends a 35 amp cord, which you will not find easily.

A 40 amp cord will work fine, as will a 50 amp cord. The only consequences will be a little wasted money and possibly a bit of extra time wrangling the new cord in place. Oversized cords are not harmful, it's the undersized ones which overheat and cause problems.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
I'd check the receptacle wiring. If you have 3 conductor plus ground, I'd change it to a 4 prong plug and put a 4 prong cord on the stove.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If it's an old range with no 120 V part (clock, timer, lights), then it is completely unnecessary to use a 4-prong cord. Even if it has, using a 3-prong cord is acceptable. Oversized cords and plugs are always fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts