DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I'm helping a nbor w possible recommendations on a mutual fence resolution.

Our community of 879 homes has cedar wooden fences that alternate the picket side and 2x4 brace side w 14 picket sections. Enclosed below is a nbors fence that has many of the pickets being pushed off due to thick vines and aging wood : fence is about 15 yrs old.

Are there any recomendations that would be able to keep the Jasmine and build a new fence, one that would be more durable and less likely to succumb to vegetation growth. Thanks tstex

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,375 Posts
Mother Nature will reclaim her own.

She has been running this world longer than man has been on it.:devil3:

After rebuilding the cedar fence, you might add a brace across the top and bottom where the cedar is nailed to the cross 2X4.

Either another 2X4 bolted through, or a 1/4" stock steel bar, painted to match the wood.

Through bolted securely to the panel.

This will prevent the plant from pushing the cedar off the frame.

ED

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ed and Sr.

I apologize that my other response did not post earlier and I thought it did...

We have a very strict HOA and fences have to be standardized in everyone's backyard. Therefore we are kind of handcuffed on what we can or cannot do...

We were thinking of going w the same style, but nail on a real fine [galvanized} mesh on the vine side that would not rust away and keep the majority of the vines from penetrating the fence. In addition to that, like you said, erect some upright 1x1" steel poles in concrete, then some cross braces that the vines could be rehung.

thoughts?

thanks, tstex

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
Will the vines fall down with out the fence?

I would pull the boards and 2x4s and judge the posts to see if they need new.

Cut the vine back so it is 6 or eight inches away from the line.

Replace the 2x4s with new and selvage as many board as you can.
Build each section into panels so they can be attached from the others.

Cover the back side almost as high as the vine with used galvanized roofing.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Sorry. Nothing helpful.

Stuff should not be allowed to grow on fences....

The tiny little runners will come through the wire, grow and still climb. You will just have a larger mess to clear next time.

15 years is about the life of most wood fences. Cedar might be a tad longer.

Reactions: SeniorSitizen

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Now that we know there is a HOA involved, consider your neighbor and yourself meeting with that " head council " to determine what's required then we may have a better recommendations for a solution.:smile:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...I would definitely recommend to both nbors that they receive HOA approval before beginning and get it in writing.

The vines will definitely fall when the fence is retaken apart. They are EXTREMELY heaving too. I would pull all the vines back to the originating side, then work from the side where the pics are taken.

I'm fairly confident they would not allow a 26ga gal roofing material to be installed, prob not even a fine mesh like a stucco mesh either. I also concur that vines should not be allowed to even grow on the fence, but it's a nbor-like preference. Since I border the nbor w the vines, I simply pull/cut/remove as needed so I keep them off my left sided fence and my back fence when they grow along the backside as well.

My solution would be that the nbor that wants the vines, they should have to build a wrought iron like structure 1-2 ft from the fence and grow them there, keeping the easement clean from the vines going to the wooden fence...thanks again guys

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
might be no one's allowed to do anything as the fence may be/is 'common property',,, we ran into that a few yrs back - approx 1mile of dog-ear p/t'd 6' fence was built by developer & deeded to hoa,,, came time to replace, hoa had no $ nor reserve for fence maint/replacement,,, since then, they now have in place reserves moving fwd & we replace fence approx .2m per yr,,, remember, you may ONLY own inside painted wall to painted wall

·
Hammered Thumb
3,501 Posts
And in light of what stadry said, you didn't say whose fence it is. HOA may dictate the type/height, but whose side of the prop line does it sit? If it's mine, I hate when neighbors stack their woodpiles against it or grow vines on it.

If it's shared on the prop line, the neighbors can cut the growth back and put "trellis" for growing the vines away from the fence so it can get air and extend the longevity of the wood.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,375 Posts
In Wyoming ownership of the fence is dictated by where the finished side is.

That is wire, boards, other material is placed on the outside of the owners property.

Fencing is installed to keep others out, not hold you and yours in. :devil3:

Your HOA might have different ideas, best to ask them first.

ED

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Never build a fence on the property line. Stay 3-6" inside the line and ownership is easily determined by whose property the fence is on.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
The vines will definitely fall when the fence is retaken apart. They are EXTREMELY heaving too. I would pull all the vines back to the originating side, then work from the side where the pics are taken.
If it were my choice, when the old fence comes down the old plants would also come out and be replaced with new, no matter what fence was determined, and the new plants might be Honeysuckle. New fence with new plants and everyone would be proud of a job well done.

·
Registered
13,510 Posts
@tstex:

Hmm. Have to mostly concur with @SeniorCitizen. Just get a new fence AND new plants.

Not sure I'd use honeysuckle, though. We used to call it Hun-ee-suckle, as in Attila, as in scourge, as in running wild and taking over everything.

I'd also be sure and clear everything with the HOA. The great thing is that HOAs in Texas (unlike the real wild wild west of California), are regulated, and your friend should get a better shake from them.

Looks like that massive old vine is Confederate Jasmine, aka Star Jasmine aka Steroid Vine, aka known as Magic Perfume plant. That's a great plant, but it, like Attila Hun E Suckle has its disadvantages.

Perhaps build the fence and take a little time selecting a new vine that's just a bit more genteel in its habits?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, all great comments and spot on..

Yes it's Star Jasmine, very good observation. I like the idea of trashing the current vines and going another route or starting over...prob need to cut the down to the ground and wait for about 4-6 weeks when all new fresh vies then him them w Eraser or Remedy and keep doing so until none sprouts back

Hey, I'll tell them the guys on the boards said to plant bamboo, something that is easily killed it you do t like it 🙂

1 - 15 of 15 Posts