DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Drywall and Painting Pro
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this Part 3 video, I'm going to show how to skim coat a wall after drywall repairs with many diy drywall tips and skim coating tricks!

Once the drywall repairs were dry was time for me to skim coat the walls. In case you missed the first video where I had to repair all the black mirror glue that was left over from the homeowners removing wall mirrors. I’m using all-purpose joint compound then down to a yogurt consistency for a skim coat mix. I’m using a 14 inch blue steel drywall taping knife and a 16 inch stainless steel mud pan to apply the skim coat to the walls. I share many of my skim coating techniques with you to hopefully give you the skills to skim coat walls on your own. Whether you’re a contractor handyman painter or even a DIY'er I think this step-by-step skim coating video Will give you the confidence to skim coat a wall yourself!

Here's Part-1 Mirror Removed! Now What???
Where I showed you how to scrape and chisel of the black mirror mastic blobs that held up these floor to ceiling wall mirror. Next, it was time to fix all of the torn drywall paper from removing the mirror glue by sealing it with a problem surface sealer called Gardz.

Here's Part-2- How to repair wall after mirror glue removal:

Let me know in the comments if you have a drywall repair you're working on?

Feel free to ask any questions about my diy drywall tips and tricks in this video?

Thanks so much for watching! -Paul
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if you're new to the channel welcome! My name is Paul and I've been a drywall and painting contractor for over 20 years. I'll share tips, tricks and how to videos for all of your drywall, texturing and painting needs. So be sure to hit this Subscribe Link https://goo.gl/Es5k5z to keep up with all my latest videos thanks so much for watching!
-Paul

·
Still learning every day!
474 Posts
I haven't listened to the audio, but watching the videos makes me dizzy. Perhaps you can either figure out how to move your head less, have someone else hold the camera, or get a stationary mount for the camera. For me, the motion is so excessive that I would just end up looking for a different source for instruction.

·
Drywall and Painting Pro
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't listened to the audio, but watching the videos makes me dizzy. Perhaps you can either figure out how to move your head less, have someone else hold the camera, or get a stationary mount for the camera. For me, the motion is so excessive that I would just end up looking for a different source for instruction.
I appreciate your feedback Pete.:thumbsup:

·
474 Posts
Paul, I hope that I didn't come across as overly critical. I believe that your videos can be extremely helpful given the level of detail I saw, and my input is strictly my own personal opinion, too. If you've not ever heard the same issue from anyone else, just chalk off my input as an "outlier" and truck on with what you're doing. I know that my suggestion would be a more complicated "shoot" of what you're trying to offer, and it may not be as practical for you because you're primary income is getting the work done... not shooting a video for the work.

Thanks for all the time you put into the effort!!

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
For some reason I didn't get dizzy , well, not nearly as dizzy as if I were standing on a 5 gallon bucket working over my head attempting what Sir Mix was doing.:biggrin2: I've watched a few vids and to my knowledge I've never seen one pack so much good information in a 10 min. vid. Thanks for your work.

·
474 Posts
Maybe it's my "outgrown" childhood motion sickness which is rearing it's ugly head again!

·
What is that?
923 Posts
I have to do my whole house because of a flood. Very informative. I'm haft done and need to skim coat a lot. #skimcoattube :vs_cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
For some reason I didn't get dizzy , well, not nearly as dizzy as if I were standing on a 5 gallon bucket working over my head attempting what Sir Mix was doing.:biggrin2:

Most workplace injuries involve ladders. By using a bucket, you are working more safely. :surprise:

Sir Mix, thanks for the videos. I have just finished replacing the drywall in my kitchen and will need to skim the parts that show (mostly the ceiling).

Your video is most informative.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe it's my "outgrown" childhood motion sickness which is rearing it's ugly head again!
They are great videos but I am also struggling a little with a spinning head.
Mine is a recent nasty bout of vertigo and menaires inherited from my father and grandmother.

·
Drywall and Painting Pro
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are great videos but I am also struggling a little with a spinning head.
Mine is a recent nasty bout of vertigo and menaires inherited from my father and grandmother.
Sorry to hear this. Here's a skim coating video that is filmed by someone filming me. So hopefully it doesn't cause the spinning. Let me know.:thumbsup: -Paul

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I'm always impressed at the effortless skill that pro drywallers display. They make it seem so easy, as is the case here in these videos.

I did a small ceiling repair last year when a roof vent caused a leak in a bedroom ceiling. The area was less than one foot square but I had a heck of a time getting it smooth and even. Props to the OP for posting these informative videos.

·
Drywall and Painting Pro
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm always impressed at the effortless skill that pro drywallers display. They make it seem so easy, as is the case here in these videos.

I did a small ceiling repair last year when a roof vent caused a leak in a bedroom ceiling. The area was less than one foot square but I had a heck of a time getting it smooth and even. Props to the OP for posting these informative videos.
I appreciate the kind words Dave!:thumbsup: May the drywall gods smile down on you the next time you attempt drywall my friend!:laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts