DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a fridge, just a year or so ago. It was a floor model so I got it at a discount. I had no issue with it other than the ice maker being kind of loud. Recently, it started getting even louder and I can't figure out what is causing the issue. It just randomly will do it too. What can I check for something like this? I know nothing about refrigerators.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what kind of sound?? Clicking poping, etc.?? Did you check to see if it's just an ice jam??
It sounds like a gear grinding at first and then a lot of clicking. I cleaned it out once already to check and didn't see anything. I am not sure if it is still under warranty or not. It is louder than it should be. I can hear it upstairs when it does it.

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
If you are sure it's not something simple or easy to adjust, etc. and it turns out the icemaker is bad or going bad, (they don't last a long time), don't sink a lot of money in it. Just a suggestion.

If you call a repairman out to fix it, it would cost a couple hundred dollars or more. All he would do is probably just replace it with a new one. You could do that and save money. Very easy to change one out.

Go to repairclinic.com or appliancecenter, type in your model number and look it up. Excellent how to and testing videos available at the site.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are sure it's not something simple or easy to adjust, etc. and it turns out the icemaker is bad or going bad, (they don't last a long time), don't sink a lot of money in it. Just a suggestion.

If you call a repairman out to fix it, it would cost a couple hundred dollars or more. All he would do is probably just replace it with a new one. You could do that and save money. Very easy to change one out.

Go to repairclinic.com or appliancecenter, type in your model number and look it up. Excellent how to and testing videos available at the site.
Thanks, I'll do that. Yeah I don't wanna put money into this. It wasn't an expensive fridge. It was only $600 and a floor model on top of that. I just don't want to go through the hassle of buying a new one right now and putting it on my card. Thanks for the information and advice!

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
It sounds like a gear grinding at first and then a lot of clicking. I cleaned it out once already to check and didn't see anything. I am not sure if it is still under warranty or not. It is louder than it should be. I can hear it upstairs when it does it.

Yes, definitely check to see if it's still under warantee first. Problem solved if it is. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
If you haven't yet, I would look it over good to make sure it is snapped in place correctly, and then that the mechanism on top seems secure. Being a floor model, it seems possible that they handed the new salesperson an icemaker and said "go put this in that display unit over there". That said though, ours seems to make no noise at all, most of the time, but on a still restless night I have learned that it really does make noise, and a couple of times I have actually gotten out of bed thinking the door must have come open and there is ice all over the floor. That's never actually been the case, but point is that they're not all exactly quiet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.